What do you think of that mix?

Adegheiz

New Metal Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hey can you give me your impressions of that mix?
I need some external feedbacks, any suggestion or constructive comment is really well accepted.

Thanks

Hey,
I found the mix elements sounding separated a bit in this mix. And that's probably due to different tones (frequency responce shapes) and balance, e.g. the snare is bright and has plenty of attack, so that makes it pop out of the mix a bit.
I'd suggest you making more ambience for the drums in context of the genre.
The low end has something unclear, so I can hear the kick's click, but not the body through the song. It works nicely on the fast kick parts with 32nds though!
Liked the clean guitars tone and the clean vox choir (the sound so crystal to me)! :headbang:

Hey,
I found the mix elements sounding separated a bit in this mix. And that's probably due to different tones (frequency responce shapes) and balance, e.g. the snare is bright and has plenty of attack, so that makes it pop out of the mix a bit.
I'd suggest you making more ambience for the drums in context of the genre.
The low end has something unclear, so I can hear the kick's click, but not the body through the song. It works nicely on the fast kick parts with 32nds though!
Liked the clean guitars tone and the clean vox choir (the sound so crystal to me)! :headbang:
Thanks alot for your advice!

I agree with Nikolas, the individual tracks don't really mesh the way they are mixed. I used to run into this problem when I started mixing seriously. I was used to soloing tracks and mixing them individually instead of all together. When I did this I would end up with drums, bass, and guitar that sounded killer by themselves, but when I put them all together it was a mess.
This is obviously far from a mess, but the problem still remains that they lack cohesiveness. If you want to get technical, pick something in the mix, say, the drums, and use a good graphic EQ (I use FabFilter Pro Q 2) and see where it lies in the frequency spectrum. Obviously it will be a bit of everywhere, but look at broad peaks and valleys. If you need, carve a little bit of space here and there to make room for other instruments. To keep things from sounding too sterile as a result of this, slap a plugin with a master EQ and dynamic editing like Izotope to bring it all together.

Some of that might be me nitpicking because honestly you've got something going for you with that. Very close to being some real pro-grade skills. Good luck, mate.

Reactions: McGarnacle
I agree with Nikolas, the individual tracks don't really mesh the way they are mixed. I used to run into this problem when I started mixing seriously. I was used to soloing tracks and mixing them individually instead of all together. When I did this I would end up with drums, bass, and guitar that sounded killer by themselves, but when I put them all together it was a mess.
This is obviously far from a mess, but the problem still remains that they lack cohesiveness. If you want to get technical, pick something in the mix, say, the drums, and use a good graphic EQ (I use FabFilter Pro Q 2) and see where it lies in the frequency spectrum. Obviously it will be a bit of everywhere, but look at broad peaks and valleys. If you need, carve a little bit of space here and there to make room for other instruments. To keep things from sounding too sterile as a result of this, slap a plugin with a master EQ and dynamic editing like Izotope to bring it all together.

Some of that might be me nitpicking because honestly you've got something going for you with that. Very close to being some real pro-grade skills. Good luck, mate.
Thank you very much. I usually struggle to mix the low end 'cause there's part of a cone sound that I like very much in the 60 Hz in the guitar, I would like to preserve it but that's the area of bass and the kick as well. I usually take the kick so that it stays in the very lows 40 60, then the bass and then I used to high pass the guitar at 80 hz but when I do that I miss a sound that I like. Then comes the fighting of the room, the overheads and the hi-hats...