What kind of guitar to buy?

Well myself I've had my Yamaha Pacifica for 2 years and I was looking at getting a new one also. I've been seriously considering an Ibanez, but at the same time there are some nice ESP's for about $500 at my local music store, some with Seymour Duncan pick-ups in them, so It's a toss up. If anything I would recommend a non-Floyd rose bridge guitar because those things are the devil and a bitch to maintain and set up!

I have several guitars and by far the best one is my Gibson SG Special (under $600). The last one I bought was a Jackson and it's crap. Buy a Gibson...or a good Fender Strat.

Jacksons rule the planet, but stay away from any of the Korean ones... those are crap.

Mexistrats are good, probably better than the US stuff. Be prepared to play a half dozen till you find a decent one though.

If you like soft frets, and don't mind the trem posts falling out after a few months, buy an Ibenhad....er Ibenscrewed... er... Ibanez... yeah... something like that...

Stay away from LTD... those things suck... all ESP are made in Japan and are way overpriced...
Gibson? Overpriced and inconsistent. Epiphone? Worse...

PRS... leave that coffee table FURNITURE guitar crap hanging on the wall, where it's supposed to be.

Guess a Jackson would be a good thing. USA if you can afford it.

BC Rich? Only good stuff is the Custom Shop stuff, so be prepared to wait 2 years and spend a ton of money...

I'd say ibanez, been playing them for years and they are good in quality, but just don't get anything with a TRS2 on it, get a guitar with an edge trem. Very good guitars for the money. And the edge trem system is nice and smooth, also can take a lot of abuse. Never had a problem with the frets either. Buy a second hand RG, they are cheap and good value for money (the RG5xx and up, not the 4xx and below)

jacksons are nice, but I've only played two I liked. The cheap ones are to be avoided. For some reson I don't like the feel of their fretboards and neck, but that's just me. other people swear by them like I do with ibanez, so there must be something good about them.

Other than that, BC Rich: USA models only though, the rest is not so good.

Even the edge trems have their problems too. I've heard of finishes oxidizing and chipping.

Frets are softer and need to be leveled more occassionally.

I do like a few Ibanez, but their prices are so rediculous for what they are... The models I seem to always like the feel and playability of are around the $700-$1000 range. I can almost get a brand new USA Jackson.
Also, if you see a lot of used Ibanez, they always seem to have some kind of bad problems, neck warpage, trem posts loose, edge trems finish chipping, etc... As the cheap Jacksons are to be avoided, I'd avoid ALL of the RG series guitars. They do not hold up to the rigors of every day use for more than a year, where they start developing MOST of those problems.

I've seen all that happen to numerous Ibanez.

It's all about personal preference though. Buy whatever you feel plays the best for you.

ESP is way over-rated. Even their "custom" stuff isn't made in America any more. LTD is junk.

If you want to pay $3000+ for an import ESP that's been beat up on purpose, a la, Hammet 'Relic', be my guest.

Some ESPs are truly nice, but those would be the Custom USA that have been out of production for some time now.

Jackson USA and BC Rich USA smoke ANY current ESP, and most of the ESP New York stuff too.

Carvin is a great custom guitar for production prices. It's also not a year or longer wait if you want something custom. Great guitars at a great price.

I'd rather buy parts from Warmoth and have GMW Guitars build it, or buy one of GMW's guitars over ESP or Ibanez. GMW guitars smoke, and their custom graphics are top notch.

http://www.gmwguitars.com

And if you want expensive, get a McNaught if you want a player, or a PRS if you want a discussion peice.

For the under $600, you can find decent USA Jacksons and Richs for around that price. You should be able to find a used Carvin for half that on ebay.

Just my opinion of course...

If you want a guitar under 600$ then I should suggest a Charvel.
it´s the Jackson Companyin who builds them and there alot like Jackson...great guitars.

Esp and Ibanez are great too...but most of the good sounding guitars cost more than 600 bucks

Yeah, you can get a nice Charvel Model 6, which is basically identical to a USA Soloist from the same time period 87-89, would have the same hardware, pickups, and trem (some don't like the JT-6, but I think it's fine).

They sell on ebay from $350-$450, are neck-thru, bound headstock and neck, and are sweet players.

Pretty much anything with the Charvel guitar logo are great, and some of the toothpaste script type logos are good too.

I own a bunch of Charvels, and they're good bang for the buck.

If you're looking for a nice new cheap guitar for under $300, the new Kramer Baretta's at MusicYo.com are great players and are 24 fret neck thrus, but will need a pro setup out of the box.

in my opinion, with that kind of a budget, you're not gonna find a better metal guitar than ibanez. like someone already mentioned, see if you can get a second hand rg5 series... excellent guitar for low bucks. I've been playing ibanez for about 12 years, and even though I've tried just about everything else, they pale in comparison... but that's just my opinion obviously :p