What should I get for my studio? -1000€

What should I get?

• Total voters
May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
So I want lots of new equipment, but I only have the money for one or two things.
heres my situation: I mostly record metal bands and rocknroll bands.
for metal I don`t really need anymore equipment, except amps etc., but let`s leave that out for now.

but with rocknroll/alternative etc., I have the feeling running a complete digital setup only with plugins isn`t giving my the ability to get it sounding real and warm enough.

normally I run everything through my firepod and then use plugins.

so, I`ve been thinking about these things:

-Tube Mic Pre/Channel strip:
how are the mic pres in the firepod, compared to the SPL channel one(or TL Audio Ivory 5051)? will there be a major difference?

-Hardware Compressor
big difference to plugins (PSP vintage warmer)(for example DBX Compressor 266 XL)?

-Ribbon Mic
for distorted guitars (especially blues tones) and drum room mic!? (is there a cheap/good one out there?)

-Audix d6
always trigger the kick now, cus I got slate samples and the most kits from the bands suck.

-New Monitors
I have krk-rp5s and a hifi sub. works wonderful, was cheap and I know them. so I dont know if it really were worth changing (to for ex. adam a7s)

so, I have lots of stuff I want, but what is the best choice for improving my sound?

While monitors are always good to upgrade, you say you know them and the problem you are having is not getting a warm enough sound for rock production, at least not to you. A channel strip will do what a dedicated compressor will do, but with a channel strip now you have more things (pre, comp, eq and sometimes a de-esser and/or limiter) in one unit. To me, a channel strip eliminates the need to look at dedicated compressors. With the amount of money you have available there are so many options, however some will not be as great since as I understand it most things are a little more expensive overseas than in the US.

1000 Euro = 1,561 US

My ideas:
(priced low to high)

TL Audio Ivory 5050 $659 (you can get two of these, or one and something else)
Vintech X73i $1,349 (only pre and eq, no comp, needs power supply, another $200 or so)
UA LA-610 $1,499

The more you pay, the more you get (quality), tbh, when it comes to outboard stuff.

If you are going to get a dedicated compressor, get something that is known for it's warm character, that would probably be one of the main points of even getting an outboard comp. The idea of getting an outboard comp that is transparent or has no coloring defeats the purpose, might as well use the software plug-ins. You could get a crapload of FMR RNPs, haha. Hell, you could get two RNCs and two RNPs and have two pretty damn good pre/comp setups for the money.

Oh, and don't forget to factor in cables to hook up anything you decide to get.

~006

Damn, I want to live in Europe so bad, but I think I will wait until I'm happy with all of my gear first, haha.

~006