What the HELL is up with my Saffire Pro 40 and Reaper??

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Ok, I'm hoping one of you guys might be able to help me, since I know there's quite a few of you who have this interface...

It's been a few days since I've recorded, and today I decided to try and finish a song I've been writing. Well, as soon as I hit record, I noticed this ungodly popping coming through my guitar tracks.

I thought maybe the battery in the guitar I was using was dying, so I tried a guitar with passive pickups, same issue. Changed the cable, same issue. Maybe it's that my monitors are running through the S/PDIF outs for digital connections, tried connecting them with 1/4" inputs, same issue. Listened through headphone inputs, same issue. Reset to factory defaults, same issue. Changed buffer size, latency, latency priority in Reaper, same issue.

I rendered the file and sent it to a friend to make sure it wasn't just on the monitoring side and that it wasn't rendering like that, and he said the song was completely clean on his system. So I got creative, and noticed that when I monitored back in Reaper with recording unarmed on all tracks, all the clicking went away, to a point where I could live with it. The only issue here is - The sound is too distracting to record with, while monitoring. However, if the track is armed for record, without any plugins on it, there was no clicking and popping in playback.

I'm utterly confused as to what the hell is happening, because nothing has changed on my computer, and listening to things on youtube, facebook, soundcloud, etc. don't produce the sound. Only when recording inside Reaper does this happen - The sound isn't reproduced inside Pro Tools 9, as far as I can tell, but I prefer to use Reaper for tracking.

Here's a sound file, so you can actually hear WTF is happening:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/WTFSAFFIRE.mp3

The first set of clicking is with one track armed, then 2, then 3 at the end. As you can see, it's A LOT of noise...

Anyone got any ideas? :mad:

so let me get this straight; you contacted a friend about it, but not focusrite?

that indeed sounds like satan farting. i've had some problems of similar nature with my unit, but nothing like this.

what are your computer specs? do you have any other units/hdds daisychained to the pro 40?