What was the first Opeth...

Saphira

†Black Rose Immortal†
Nov 4, 2001
Australia
.. song you ever heard?

What impact did it have on you?

The first song I had heard was Benighted, and I was a little unsure of what to think of it because I had never really heard a band to have a vocalist like that before. And I fell inlove with the guitars almost immediately..! :)

Hmm.. Your views?

Well.. My friend Greg goes "Oh you should check out this band.. just you might freak out.. they have like 20 minute songs"

I go "gaaaah? *drool* bheaaohg"

I download Silhouette, because it's one of the shortest (I was on DIAL UP at the time) and I'm like

"HOLY SHIT! WOAH!"

And I liked Opeth ever since.

The very first Opeth song I heard was "When." It was on some compilation CD that my cousin had from Relapse I think, and when I heard it I was immediately struck and went out and got every album and have gotten every album since

Advent.
And I was unsure too, I had NEVER heard this kind of music before. It took me a while to get into it, but the more I listened, the more hooked I was ;)

'When' from the Century Media compilation and hated it, then my friend bought 'Still Life' and I heard 'The Moor' a couple of times then realised what was going on... they were basically amazing.

Credence. I found it boring, without nerve (it was one of my first metal songs anyway and I wasn't used to the style...).
Second one was When. At first I didn't like it very much cause it was too long and I wasn't paying much attention, but after a while I just loved it. When is still my fav :headbang:

A friend of mine had just gotten a bunch of free CDs, and we started listening to them...he played some terrible bands like Lacuna Coil and Cannibal Corpse...and then

Prologue to April Ethereal...I said to my friend who played it for me "I would listen to this." The growling vocals grated my ears a little at first until I listened to them enough to get used to them.

I downloaded To Bid You Farewell and listened to it over and over again until I had my friend burn me a copy of Morningrise. Then I went and bought BWP when it came out..then Still Life, then Morningrise (even though I have a burned copy) then MAYH. I need to order Orchid...

Morgan

I went to the shop, to buy some music, I didn't know about Opeth then, but I saw there albums, and I just bought Morningrise without knowing them... So, my first song I heard was Advent... just fell in love after listening to that album... went and bought all there albums :D... love it... just love it... this music is absolutely beautifull... alot of pleasure to listen to these albums.

I keep telling this story over and over on this board, so now i wont. And its not interesting anyway so either you know it by now (in which case i pity your memory selection criteria) or you dont.

The crappy Advent clip on the official site. It was weird, because the instant I started listening, I knew that they were amazing musicians. I think the clip was like 3:17 - 5:10 in the full song. I listened a few times and then got the full song. I wasn't used to the vocals, but the music was so good that I kept listening. Advent is still one of my favorites.

-Hondo

Advent, off some compilation album (Candlelight or ...Death is just the beginning?)

It's what got me into prog. I didn't like the other stuff on the comp CD, it was all death/stoopid metal, but Advent stuck out, and I knew it was the start of a new-found joy.

I went to probably the only half-decent underground/metal shop in Cairns, and looked for albums. I noticed up on the wall a lot of CD covers that were really good pics ie. photos and good graphic art. I saw a nice picture of a bridge on a river next to a forest, but I couldn't see a name. I ended up getting a Cold Meat Industry release, Consono, and the next time Raison D'etre. When I came back the second time, what I now know and love as Morningrise was still there :D
I got it, and as soon as I listened to it, I severely reprebated myself for not getting it earlier.:mad:
Advent was good, as I was into metal at the time, but the rest of Morningrise lead me to the prog I adore :)