What're gas prices in the Chicago area?

enki3600

MetalHead & Engineer
Sep 20, 2004
I'm trying to figure out what this trip is going to cost me, and with a fuel inefficient vehicle, every last extorted penny hurts :erk:

Here (Cedar Rapids, IA) it's running about 2.479/gal, which I gather is probably on the lower end of the national spectrum.

I have come up with a simple formula for calculating the current price of gasoline (in US dollars) if you are unsure of the price at your location:

{[(AP) + (ST) + (WC)]*(1+3*SI)}*e^(OSHIT)

Where:
AP = actual price of gasoline
ST = state taxes
WC = Bush's war contribution fund
SI = Standard Inflation
OSHIT = OPEC's Subvert the Humans' Insurrection Tax index
SRN = some totally random number between 0-1

we can apply this to Cedar Rapids and we find:

{[(0.10$)+(0.233)+(0.666)]*(1+3*0.037)}e^(0.405)

gives us 2.4789... or rounded to the nearest tenth of a cent (because we can all cut a penny into 10 pieces and use that)... 2.479!

Thanks for any responses!

In the Chicago suburbs, the West suburbs seems to be the cheapest.
There is a station in Lombard or Villa Park on Roosevelt called the ROAD RANGER which always has the cheapest.

I think the average tank of unleaded is $2.59 or so, in the West burbs.

If you get gas at one of those Oasis's on the tollway, I am sure it will be jacked up in price. If you are budgeting, you are safest to round up to $3 / gallon, to be safe.

Isn't it a crying shame that the cost of gas is a factor in traveling for a show? I know exactly your concern. I am still debating the Gamma Ray / Ion Vein show in Minnesota, for partially this reason.

Jasonic said:
Isn't it a crying shame that the cost of gas is a factor in traveling for a show? I know exactly your concern. I am still debating the Gamma Ray / Ion Vein show in Minnesota, for partially this reason.

My thoughts exactly! I have all my bases covered but still might not go just because of the gas prices. Insanity...

Here in West Michigan, our gas prices have been hovering around $2.75. I can't WAIT to pay only $2.59 :lol:

sh0kr0k said:
My thoughts exactly! I have all my bases covered but still might not go just because of the gas prices. Insanity...

Here in West Michigan, our gas prices have been hovering around $2.75. I can't WAIT to pay only $2.59 :lol:

Cost of gas is becoming a factor in where I work...

30miles one way commute + 19mpg Jeep + 2.79/gallon equals almost 200 bux a month in gas..

Jasonic said:

I'm not in any immediate concern for cash, but I would like to get a decent estimate of what it's going to cost me. Because a penny change over a >700mi round trip ends up being about 3-5$. My current CONSERVATIVE estimates put me around 230-240$. I could have probably gotten a plane ticket cheaper than that!!
But at the time I bought tix, gas was flirting with the 2$ border. Bah!

The saddest part? We willingly gouge our wallets to pay for the outrageously inflated prices... instead of taking part in boycots by biking (which isn't a real viable option in the midwest states during winter!) or something.

Anyway, Jasonic... I assume you live in the chicago area...? and if your route to Gamma Ray is to take I-80 thru iowa, upward to minnesota, you're welcome to stop at my place (about halfway between) and hitch on with me.
However, I will be leaving on that Friday and heading back the saturday after because i have to catch a plane sunday morn.

scooterSST said:
Cost of gas is becoming a factor in where I work...

30miles one way commute + 19mpg Jeep + 2.79/gallon equals almost 200 bux a month in gas..

Luxury! 58.5 miles each way, 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3 litre 18-20 MPG, and I'm spending about $100 a week just for gas to get me to & from work. Personal comsumption not included. If I could find a job near where I live for $2 less an hour, I'd be breaking even...... : (

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
Luxury! 58.5 miles each way, 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3 litre 18-20 MPG, and I'm spending about $100 a week just for gas to get me to & from work. Personal comsumption not included. If I could find a job near where I live for $2 less an hour, I'd be breaking even...... : (

J-Dubya

Ouch... Are you in the computer industry, will they let you telecommute?

eaeolian said:
Now you know why I bought the Prius... ;)

The Prius? isn't that one of them hybrid cars? I saw a south park episode on that last week... did you know that hybrid car owners are the leading cause of smug polition in the nation? :lol:

It's as if the gods of irony heard my cry and they said "here, let us help you!" and as if by magic, the price of gas rose by twelve pennies!

is there nothing they can't do?