Whats a fair % for an engineer in your studio?

It's really that simple, if you can't live for $40K you're in the wrong part of the world. Don't plan on living 'above average' in California without a doctorate in Growing Money Off Trees, especially in music - talk about expensive living for the sake of expensive living. Unless you plan on costing a hell of a lot to record with (in which case you're paying more than $20/hour for assistants) compared to everyone else on the board (who doesn't live in California), you're not getting anywhere over there. Why else do you think NK is living off a ranch in Texas, Murphy is in bloody Florida, Gavin here hails from a city in Scotland with a population the size of your state's universities whose claim to fame is a gigantic bloody volleyball tournament... ?

Jeff

40k in most metropolitan areas in the US is very, well, tough. making 100k in new york means you are doing ok at best. it's a very tough world economically so keep that in mind if you are dealing with a career engineer.

40k doesn't really mean 40k. the majority of people are wage earners and a generous percentage of their pay checks will fly out the window to uncle sam and friends.

also this 40k number is based on the fact that he is working a full work week. are you going to be able to keep him working 40 hrs a week day in and day out?

just a suggestion but why don't you goto a local college or something and speak to someone in the music department see if any accomplished students can intern for you. i say this because a buddy of mine is a production professor at a university and he told me they are all looking to intern. i am far from needing interns but it gave me the idea to share with you. just a thought.

40k in most metropolitan areas in the US is very, well, tough. making 100k in new york means you are doing ok at best. it's a very tough world economically so keep that in mind if you are dealing with a career engineer.

Thank you! from a fellow New Yorker. It's like no matter what you make here, it's impossible to get ahead!!! I make a good salary too and I'm stuck with apartment living... I need to win the lottery or something! LOL

Sorry, I know that was a bit off the thread topic!