Whats everyone listening to at the moment?

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
So, whats in your cd player/mp3 list/vinyl collection/tape or other at the moment? Im listening to the following:

Wild And Wonderful - The Almighty: This band rules so much, how the hell did Appetite For Destruction sell 30 million and this band didnt? :confused:

Blessed Are The Sick, Altars Of Madness and Domination - Morbid Angel: :headbang: Sheer. Brilliance. On an Iced Earth/Iron Maiden scale. They dont sound the same as them obviously, but they are just as great.

Iowa - Slipknot: :D

The Odyssey - Symphony X: Only Wicked and Accolade II which are 2 of the best songs ever, the rest of its a bit of a prog wankout, but quite good all the same I spose :headbang:

Dark Saga - Iced Earth: A Question Of Heaven owns us all. The rest is great too :headbang:

I have...

A non-makeup Kiss compilation I made for myself in my discman.

Kiss - Smashes, Thrashes & Hits on my record player.

Kiss - Hotter Than Hell in the CD-Rom drive.

The last songs I was playing on my mp3 list were from Kiss - Crazy Nights.

And in my VCR is my tape of Kiss video clips.

Hmmm, I wonder what band I've been listening to lately? :)

A Question of Heaven :headbang:

Listening to Neon Ballroom

Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake by Pain of Salvation :Shedevil:

OHBTCL is starting to grow on me alot recently, and I just think that Entropia is one of the most awesome albums ever.

Also listening to Chris Cornell solo album. The song Preaching for the end of the world is so good. He has a killer set of pipes on him!

Death Metal spawn? My god.

As for me:

Jethro Tull - Best Of
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings (not that bad)
Opeth - Deliverance
And many Anthrax mp3s.

I also borrowed heaps of albums from a friend, CoF, Tool, Rammstein, Cure, KMFDM, some cool stuff in here.

No! Morbid Angel are NOT death metal! Death metal is crap like Nile, Morbid Angel are so far ahead of them that saying they are in the same genre is a massive insult to Morbid Angel :D

You can understand the vocals in Morbid Angel fine, the guitar playing is far beyond 95 percent of bands, let alone death metal bands, and the songs are great, which is what matters! :headbang:

I've been listening to:

* Chris Robinson's solo album, "New Earth Mud" which is pretty darn good
* Silverchair's "Diorama", which is pretty darn good
* The "Chicago" soundtrack, which rocks the hizouse

And miscellaneous other CDs.

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Area 54 - Beckoning Of The End

Both definitely going to be in my 'best albums of 2003' list for sure :headbang: :headbang:

Testament - First Strike Still Deadly (fuckin' rools!)
Dream Theater - Awake
Alice Cooper - Brutal Planet

Spinning around Wrathy's CD player of doom are:

Hair of the Dog: S/T and Ignite (just arrived. Loving 'em so far!)

KISS: Smashes, Thrashes and Hits

Queen: Live at Wembley '86

Black Sabbath: Forbidden

Iron Maiden: Somewhere In Time (can't seem to put this away).

W

Errmm, lessee.

Recently listened to list:
Paul Di'anno - Battlezone - not sure which album.
Betty Blowtorch - Are You Man Enough?
Devin Townsend - Oceanborn
Nick Cave - Nocturama
Mortiis - The Smell of Rain
GWAR - random MP3s
Skid Row - Slave to the Grind

spawn said:
No! Morbid Angel are NOT death metal! Death metal is crap like Nile, Morbid Angel are so far ahead of them that saying they are in the same genre is a massive insult to Morbid Angel :D

You can understand the vocals in Morbid Angel fine, the guitar playing is far beyond 95 percent of bands, let alone death metal bands, and the songs are great, which is what matters! :headbang:

morbid are death metal man..
just cos u can understand the vocals (a little better) in morbid angel dosent not make them death metal, they have a more oldschool death sound to them. But then again i can understand sing alot to the death metal i listen to :p i guess u just gotta be a death junkie

asif nile are crap, the guitarwork and drums are like x10 more technical than morbid (and this is coming from a Huge morbid fan!) Most of the death metal you dismiss as crap is probably some of the most technical shit going around.

Example: necrophagist, spawn of possession, deeds of flesh and yattering, just to name a few..oh yeah and Vader :headbang:

but what am i listening to at the moment?

The New andromeda...KICKS ARSE
Cephalic Carnage - Lucid Interval
Deeds of Flesh - Mark of the Legion

Clarky said:
morbid are death metal man..

asif nile are crap, the guitarwork and drums are like x10 more technical than morbid (and this is coming from a Huge morbid fan!) Most of the death metal you dismiss as crap is probably some of the most technical shit going around.

Nile is atrocious, extremely fast picking isnt everything. MAs music craps all over Nile, Nile is a muddy mess, the production of Niles albums is worse than Altars Of Madness and that album is 15 years old and still sounds good. There is NO way Niles music is anywhere near as technical as MA, just writing fast stuff doesnt make them more technical, and Azagthoth would have them for lunch when it comes to soloing. Oh and theres no way the drummer in Nile (who isnt with the band anymore because of an injury if I remember correctly) is better than Pete Sandoval...

Most of the death metal I dismiss as crap IS crap, when trying to push themselves to extremes most of them forget you still have to write good songs, not just growl like the cookie monster and pick really fast while the drummer does some blast beats. Its ALWAYS about the songs, not sounding evil, not technical ability, not growling lower than everyone else. Morbid Angel have the songs, the ability and the style, Nile dont. Which is a shame, because they put a lot of effort into writing some very good lyrics, then go out of their way to make sure they are indecipherable and bury it all under very muddy production, oh, and the instrumental segues they do are great.

Im not saying you cant like Nile, you are more than welcome to, but to suggest they would even be worthy to wipe Morbid Angels arse clean is ridiculous :D

P.S. I just bought Revelations by Vader, its quite good from the first 3 tracks I listened to :)

ahh obviously u aint too aware of music of nile
but nile isnt just flat chat speed picking
listen to them, they have a lot of time changes with a lot of slow atmospheric parts. they aint just a flat chat 45minutes of speed picking band.

have a look at the guitar arrangements in nile, look at the tab. Morbid is a good band, and trey is a god, but on the technical level nile wipe morbid, their musical writing skill is emense.

Futhermore black seeds of vengence and in their darkened shrins, the production was produced that way, they wanted a raw feeling to the album, it relates back to the atmosphere they are creating.

But if u listen to catacombs the production is heaps different, it sounds really awesome, and is polished but has a raw edge.

ALSO, pete sandoval is a good drummer, he is fucking good, but everyone knows he is known for his feet, he has fast as fuck feet, but on a all round drumming sense, there are many better out there.

BUT pete hammoura totally kicks the motherfucking crap out of pete, his hands and feet are awesome, his hands are much faster, but he is alot more creative with his beats. And yes was forced from the band through shoulder injury, but tony who has replaced him is just as good.

To dissmiss nile as just a flat chat mess and speed picking band is an extremely narrow minded point of view, if you took the time to listen to their music in depth and have a look at the musical arrangements and tabs, u will see that they are MUCH MUCH more than what u make them out to be.

As i said before i am a massive massive morbid fan for ages, but u really cant compare these two bands, its just not really practical. To say nile have no ability is just stupid, no offence, but the ability of nile could rip morbid 2x over..