What's "pre-Signify" era PorcTree like?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Hello all;

The great Porcupine Tree has quickly ascended to the top of my "Fav Bands" list due to the great music contained within "Signify", "Stupid Dream", "Lightbulb Sun", "Recordings" & "In Absentia".

However, I understand that their "pre-Signify era" material is very different, comprised mostly of "synthetic soundscapes" & "dreamy atmospherics".

Is this accurate? Can anyone describe PT's earlier work?

It's not as song oriented, more psychedelic and obscure. It's still good, but I enjoy the Signify and on stuff better.

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are the obvious choices.

I don't know much of their catalog, though. Which other of their albums are good? I've been thinking about getting the Stars Die compilation. I've heard random older songs and liked them all.

Sky Moves Sideways and Up The Downstair have more of a space rock sound, with a high concetration of instrumentals and more electronic elements, although Steven's talent for writing emotionally affecting songs is there. The debut was conceived as a psychedelic pastiche...an enjoyable record with some great songs, but buy it last.
I've finally heard some of the material on the rare CDs and EPs and much of it is incredible.

Well, they rereleased a few of the major ones and did the compilation, so getting the music seems easy enough. Maybe I'll make a mass Stars Die/Metanoia/Signify purchase some time.

Originally posted by Hondo
Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are the obvious choices.

I've been thinking about getting the Stars Die compilation. I've heard random older songs and liked them all.

exactly. L-Sun and Stupid Dream are in roughly the same mode as In Absentia, which is another winner of a CD. Basically, before Porcupine Tree was a "band", it was Steven Wilson putting together sonic soundscapes much in a Floydian mode, very psychedelic, although he professes to have never done drugs. from that standpoint, the music progresses as the band formed and developed. If you like In Absentia, as a general rule work backward through the catalog, perhaps to their live cd, Coma Divine. The compilation "Stars Die" will probably do for most people as a sampler of their early years, but if you like really trippy music, the entire Voyage 34 (about a guy who took one trip too many) is interesting.

damn I can ramble:D Pocupine Tree is not metal, but they are capable of rocking out.

I looked on the Porcupine discography and usually they have notes for the cds, but not this one. then I checked Delerium Records and found this description:

Long anticipated reissue of this Porcupine Tree rarity originally released in 1998 as a limited edition double 10". Containing purely instrumental studio jams, recorded during the 1995-1996 Signify sessions, it's perhaps the most experimental and spacious set of recordings Porcupine Tree has made to date. This expanded CD edition features an eight page booklet with photos and two bonus tracks from the same sessions. Smokin!!!

Originally posted by Lakestream
shesmovedon is my favourite PT track :)
it's just so....awesome....and sad too :cry:
that's part of what makes Steven such a great songwriter and performer, so many of his songs are emotional, but not always in a broken heart way, sometimes in a very twisted way of looking at things., for instance, from Blackest Eyes off In Absentia:

A walk in the woods and I will try
Something under the trees that made you cry
It's so erotic when your make up runs

I got wiring loose inside my head
I got books that I never ever read
I got secrets in my garden shed
I got a scar where all my urges bled
I got people underneath my bed
I got a place where all my dreams are dead
Swim with me into your blackest eyes

A few minutes with me inside my van
Should be so beautiful if we can
I'm feeling something taking over me

I mean, what is taking him over when she is inside the van with him? why does smeared mascara turn him on? who the fuck are the people under his bed, and what are the secrets in his shed? dead bodies? If they are having sex in the van, won't she be disappointed at only "a few minutes?" Steven what the fuck is going on in your brain?
:lol: :lol: