What's with all the In Flames bashing??

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
Just wondering. I've noticed on several threads, and boards, a lot of In Flames bashing, esp the last couple of cds. Personally, I think Clayman is f-ing brilliant! Again disproving that mp3s are killing cd sales, I downloaded all the In Flames cds from Napster a while back. I loved them all, so I decided I would buy the cds in the order that I liked them. I bought CLAYMAN first, and then Jester Race, this weekend I bought Whoracle. Colony will be the next purchase. All their cds have great music to offer, how can you argue that, just because they may approach songwriting differently on different releases. Would you rather all Opeth cds sounded like Orchid rehashed?

Anyways, I just want to know why so many people feel the need to bash In Flames.
Any response?

I haven't personally bashed InFlames, because I honestly haven't really listened to them.

Most arguements come from the "sell-out" angle. Also, it seems to stem from something they said in an interview - something about the fans. I can't say if people mis-interpreted what was said, but it got the ire of many.

I don't buy the "sell-out" angle. To me, selling out is when you stop writing/playing the music YOU want to play and instead play the music you think will SELL. I think In Flames has evolved playing the music that they want to play, music they find interesting and challenging. Sure it is different, but everyone's tastes change eventually. Why aren't musicians allowed to change what they play as their tastes change? Even Metallica, who's last few cds I don't care for, did not "sell out", their tastes changed. Did Dan Swano "sell out" in going from EoS to Nightingale? I don't think so.

Originally posted by dolphz
I don't buy the "sell-out" angle. To me, selling out is when you stop writing/playing the music YOU want to play and instead play the music you think will SELL. I think In Flames has evolved playing the music that they want to play, music they find interesting and challenging. Sure it is different, but everyone's tastes change eventually. Why aren't musicians allowed to change what they play as their tastes change? Even Metallica, who's last few cds I don't care for, did not "sell out", their tastes changed. Did Dan Swano "sell out" in going from EoS to Nightingale? I don't think so.

I know what you're saying. Selling-out is so subjective to people. I think most equate selling-out with making money - and for some reason, when a band changes it's sound a bit and becomes successful for it - they're dubbed a sell-out. I like Metallica's Black album - the one that they sold-out with. I don't like their albums after that.

Also - a shift in fan base is termed selling-out by those who no longer want to follow the band. Maybe people want to keep their bands close to them, and want to like everything they do. I never hear anybody say that a mainstream band from the beginning sold-out, but if you're a small "underground" band that makes big - BLAM - you sold out.

Just my opinion on the subject.

Originally posted by metalmancpa

I think most equate selling-out with making money - and for some reason, when a band changes it's sound a bit and becomes successful for it - they're dubbed a sell-out.

It depends. Did the band change its sound with thew hope of attracting more listeners/buyers? Or did the band change its sound because it grew tired/bored of what it was doing and wanted to try a new direction. As a result of this change, they became more popular. This is not selling out, this is just a band doing what it loves and being fortunate enough to have attracted a large audience.

At any rate, you have made some good points. Thanks.

just because they may approach songwriting differently on different releases. Would you rather all Opeth cds sounded like Orchid rehashed?

It's not about being different or not, it's about writing good music.

You like it, fine. But it's also fine that some people don't like it.

Just wondering. I've noticed on several threads, and boards, a lot of In Flames bashing, esp the last couple of cds. Personally, I think Clayman is f-ing brilliant! Again disproving that mp3s are killing cd sales, I downloaded all the In Flames cds from Napster a while back. I loved them all, so I decided I would buy the cds in the order that I liked them. I bought CLAYMAN first, and then Jester Race, this weekend I bought Whoracle. Colony will be the next purchase. All their cds have great music to offer, how can you argue that, just because they may approach songwriting differently on different releases. Would you rather all Opeth cds sounded like Orchid rehashed?

Anyways, I just want to know why so many people feel the need to bash In Flames.
Any response?

i'll tell you what it is... FUCKIN TR00 FAGGOTS. Fuck them... In Flames is too "mainstream" for them, they know of better, more unknown bands. Yes that is how a lot of people think. It's fuckin stupid. I mean sure some people aren't gonna like the new In Flames, but i mean like EVERYONE?!?!? No. They've got their heads in their asses. I can guarantee you that those people who are hating the new In Flames also hate any music that is played on the radio or MTV or Much Music too... Fuckin tr00 mother fuckers. To them anything with a tinge of mainstream in it makes it crappy. And it is retarded.

dude bumblefoot, you need to calmdown with this "trooness" stuff. No one is thinking their troo for not liking in flames. they are just being idiots thats all. they took the message the wrong way, and the last two albums dont meet THEIR standards.

Originally posted by Mikhail Capone

It's not about being different or not, it's about writing good music.

You like it, fine. But it's also fine that some people don't like it.

It's fine that people don't like it, what bothers me is that people say they have deserted their fans or sold out, and therefore they are less of a band then they were x years ago. If you don't like them, fine. Don't insult or them or the people that like them though.

dude bumblefoot, you need to calmdown with this "trooness" stuff. No one is thinking their troo for not liking in flames. they are just being idiots thats all. they took the message the wrong way, and the last two albums dont meet THEIR standards.

Granted, but do you not think they message was unnecesarily confusing and agressive? they could have just let it go and do not comment about it, just like you and a lot of people ask for us the inflames bashers to do so, lets just say inflames could have shown more maturity to make an example for they loving idiot fans

i know.... i do agree in flames should not have done that. but it wasnt for all of their fans. just for the ones that came to their board just to flame them out. the inflames board is not for bashing in flames. its for about talking about the band and how you like them. i think in flames just got a little mad and wrote that message which was a mistake.

Most arguements come from the "sell-out" angle.

Well, basically it was ME who started the In Flames 'Forum saga' a while ago, and everyone started shouting me down and saying that i took the 'sell-out' angle, which i did not at all.

I haven't been an In Flames fan since Colony, simply because they are making crap music and repeating themselves. They use the same structure for every song, same scales for their solos, same drum patterns, etc... and frankly I am offended that some people have said that i think 'In Flames has sold out', because I don't beleive that, i just think they are crap.

WHORACLE is awesome... It's up there with ...And justice for all and Rust in peace...

Originally posted by Trapped

Well, basically it was ME who started the In Flames 'Forum saga' a while ago, and everyone started shouting me down and saying that i took the 'sell-out' angle, which i did not at all.

I haven't been an In Flames fan since Colony, simply because they are making crap music and repeating themselves. They use the same structure for every song, same scales for their solos, same drum patterns, etc... and frankly I am offended that some people have said that i think 'In Flames has sold out', because I don't beleive that, i just think they are crap.

WHORACLE is awesome... It's up there with ...And justice for all and Rust in peace...

That's a decently put arguement - purely based on your feelings on their musical presentation

svenske kocken
It´s because their music is so fucking lame nowadays. I mean, Colony, Whoracle and The Tokyo Showdown is utter crap.

I dont think you know what your talking about dude. Whoracle is probably their best cd, and the one that most older in flames fans like the most besides maybe jester race. And tokyo showdown is just a live album man. its not like they wrote anything new for it. its just a bunch of their songs live. i dont see where you are coming from at all.

well i've actually been defending them

when ppl heard they were planning to tour with slipknot, everyone went ape and said they were turning into nu-metal and selling out, which is of course not true

when ppl heard they were planning to tour with slipknot, everyone went ape and said they were turning into nu-metal and selling out, which is of course not true

Dipshit...!

Did you even read my post??

Most of us that don't like In Flames' new stuff haven't liked them since colony... You are making STUPID assumptions!

Originally posted by SentencedToBurn

I dont think you know what your talking about dude. Whoracle is probably their best cd, and the one that most older in flames fans like the most besides maybe jester race. And tokyo showdown is just a live album man. its not like they wrote anything new for it. its just a bunch of their songs live. i dont see where you are coming from at all.

This is true Well put. I still like Jester Race best :)