Whats wrong my guitar? Need serious help!

Pierced Spirit

New Metal Member
Sep 1, 2001
San Antonio, Tx
Visit site
Whenever I detune my guitar a mere halfstep (Eb) the high strings (B & E) sound like total shit when I try playing notes from the 12th fret up (24th fret). I own an Ibanez RG470. I dont know if its because I have those 2 strings set a little lower than the rest of the strings. I dont know how the hell that happened though cause I have NO idea about ajusting the height. But Ive noticed that the B & E are set a little lower than the rest of the strings. That may be the problem but I dont know how to adjust the height. I have the Floyd Rose Tremolo also.

Any help would be GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated. Thanks to anyone who tries to help me out.

Originally posted by Pierced Spirit
Whenever I detune my guitar a mere halfstep (Eb) the high strings (B & E) sound like total shit when I try playing notes from the 12th fret up (24th fret).

Would you care to elaborate the "total shit" part? :) Do you mean it's out of tune (ie. not an exact octave higher than when played free vs. the 12th fret), or are the strings buzzing heavily (or rather, not ringing properly)?

I'll slash in the dark and assume it's the latter, in which case raising the strings a bit should help.

The problem with Floyd Rose Tremolo is that you should adjust the springs (which hold the tremolo in level with the body, you'll see them when you open the "back" of your guitar) according to every tuning (E, Eb, D, etc.) because every tuning creates a different tension.

First of all, sell that peice of shit and buy a jackson. :D

I had that problem with my les paul, i tuned it all down to D permanently, but it seriously put my intonation out, and i got fret buzz and shit. Basically, if you're fucking around with the tuning, you have to make sure the tolerances are set right (so your strings aren't flapping about like a bitch, or aren't so tight that you slit your wrist with them every time you play).

A floyd rose is a pain in the ass to do all that shit with tho. Basically, just raise your strings a bit at the floyd, making sure that you don't kill your intonation, and you should be okay. If you DO kill your intonation, i'm not sure how to do it on a rose... but on a les paul (i'm sure this is helping you alot :lol: ) you just move the bridge saddle (the thing that the string sits on at the bridge end) back or forwards a bit.

As Orchid mentioned, it may be the springs (if you're de-tuning with a FR and doing nothing to the springs, you'll have problems). When you drop the pitch, you'll need to loosen the screws holding the springs on. Be gentle, go 1/2 turn then try re-tuning, then another 1/2 turn (you can go more if you know what your doing). Look at the part of the bridge (on the front of the guitar) that runs parallell to the body- they should line up perfectly. Keep letting out the screws and re-tuning until they line up (you may need to go at 1/4 turns to get it right).

First off! I fully intend on doing that Trapped! I hate my damn Ibanez. Jackson is my route. Any suggestions on what brand? I was considering either a KV-4 or an SL-3.

Thanks for those suggestions about the springs guys . That sounds like it may be the problem. What thing I should say though is I added a 4th spring. There was only 3 when I first bought it and when I put .10s The were too fucking high so I added a 4th. It worked nicley. But now when I wanna detune a little It sounds like shit (Which was correct, on what ORchid suggested. Its a heavy buzzing. I think its happening cause its too long and is hitting against another piece of metal)

Yeah, it's the springs (well, I'm 99% sure ;) ). Loosen the screws like I said, it's less drastic than removing/adding springs. I had a similar prob the first time I restrung, going from .9's to .10's, I was 1/2 way through tuning them, then realised my bridge was at a 90 degree angle to the body (yes, I freaked out:eek: ). At the moment, your springs are pulling on the bridge, and the tension of the strings is not enough to balance it out. This means that the bridge is getting pulled back/down, so the strings are now set lower, making them vibrate against the frets.
Don't worry about letting the screws out some, they make 'em long.