whats wrong with the mix?

syns

\m/
Nov 8, 2007
Malaysia
hi guys, my name is huzai and im from malaysia

i really need to know what should i improve in my mix from all of you guys, mostly welcomed all comment or critics

here is my link,

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/1716/music.php

song title Endless Sorrow
im using FL Studio(dont laugh at me pls :D) as my main DAW Application, Ezd,Realguitar,Sampletank,Ibanez RG560, POD 2.0,Symphony of Voices for that song

p/s : scroll down to the bottom of the page

Sounds to me like the acoustic sections are a lot louder than the heavy sections. The Acoustic sections sound really good though. I would maybe try backing off on your Reverbs on the drums and rhythm guitars to get them back up in the mix and a little more in your face. You'd be surprised how a very small amount of reverb can make it sound big and heavy. Too much, and you loose all your punch.

Sounds to me like the acoustic sections are a lot louder than the heavy sections. The Acoustic sections sound really good though. I would maybe try backing off on your Reverbs on the drums and rhythm guitars to get them back up in the mix and a little more in your face. You'd be surprised how a very small amount of reverb can make it sound big and heavy. Too much, and you loose all your punch.

thanks for the words and tips man, appreciate it! :headbang:

huzai, glad to see you here :cool:

i dare not comment on your recording coz i'm still way behind. great song btw. nanti aku PM ko kat i-bands. selamat!!! :headbang:

Suggestions first then compliments.

No reverb on the metal elements (if any very little) to balance out the overall feel of the mix. Delay on the solos works though, don't worry about that. OHs might be a bit too bright, but that could be the reverb adding un-necessary high end. The violin at the start could be quieter to improve the dynamic range of the intro. Something's askew with the bass guitar but I can't quite pinpoint it.

I love Symphony of Voices. Nothing but pure love. Props to ya there. The whole song is a masterpiece in how it was written and from what I can tell your goals for the end master track. All that really needs to be done is some mastering and some clean up, nothing serious. I am loving this song bro!

Suggestions first then compliments.

No reverb on the metal elements (if any very little) to balance out the overall feel of the mix. Delay on the solos works though, don't worry about that. OHs might be a bit too bright, but that could be the reverb adding un-necessary high end. The violin at the start could be quieter to improve the dynamic range of the intro. Something's askew with the bass guitar but I can't quite pinpoint it.

I love Symphony of Voices. Nothing but pure love. Props to ya there. The whole song is a masterpiece in how it was written and from what I can tell your goals for the end master track. All that really needs to be done is some mastering and some clean up, nothing serious. I am loving this song bro!

hello there, 1st of all, thank you so much for taking time to listening and your time to write here, i truly appreciate it man..

too much reeverb is the most of the problem is it? i guess its right since there are 2 people here telling me the same thing..

No reverb on the metal elements
i think i should stick that to my little head right now LOL, FYI, at 1st, i didnt put any reverb on the guitars and snare, but it sound really weak! and someone came up and tell me, this song need a reverb on the guitars, so.. :lol:

mind sharing some technique on drums processing ?

At least to me to have the hybrid of ambient acoustic with heavy metal there needs to not only be a difference in writing the music but how the production goes. You've got the classic orchestral elements of dynamics and clean tones in the first part, and the in your face overdriven compressed aspect of metal. It's really a marriage of two styles in their entirety to make a song like that fantastic. Check out bands like Believer, Fountain of Tears, Darkane (Rusted Angel!), etc.

Something is sounding weak or distant with the guitars and snare. Were you using a multiband compressor on the guitars at all? If not you probably should.

Drum processing is tricky. I have no experience whatsoever in VST drums so I'm not much help there, but I know a lot of other guys here are. To my un-trained ears in VST drums it's sounding like you're getting to much snare in the overheads and not enough in it's own mic. You could (in theory) kill the OH mix for the snare and add a touch of reverb to liven it up if it needs it.