Whats your opinion on bluegrass music

AcesHigh

Sep 25, 2002
Novo Hamburgo, Brasil
Its almost unknown here in Brasil.

Another day I was at Porto Alegre downtown and there was this group of students that formed a band called Trem27 (because of the total of 27 chords in their instruments) and they were playing Bluegrass music, and selling their CDs on the street... and also explaining what bluegrass was and the history of bluegrass...

www.trem27.mus.br

Trem27-2EduardoSeidl_resize.jpg

Trem27-1EduardoSeidl_resize.jpg

as you see in the pics above, brazilians can really look like american hillbillies.

Notice that bluegrass music in US was made by irish and scottish immigrants. Since we dont have those in Brasil, the guys in the band are italian, german and polish descendants!

Growing up in southern West Virginia exposed me to many bluegrass artists through-out my childhood. Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, in particular, rose my interest in the genre. Bluegrass is full of talented musicians but is often regarded as hillbilly/redneck trash and pushed aside without even giving it a chance. Eric Weissberg's song "Dueling Banjos" during the rather disturbing scene of Deliverance only furthers the stereotype. It's a shame the genre is believed to be restricted to religious zealots and rednecks. Then again, I'm a redneck. :p

I don't know Spanish enough to read about the band, but the MP3 is quite good. They definitely know the genre.