When did hypercriticism infect the metal community?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
I'm just curious if it's a generation thing, an internet thing, or what, because growing up never did I see such rampant criticism for all kinds of different bands/styles/hairstyles/etc. There used to be a time when pretty much anything metal or metal-related was at least worth giving a shot, whether you liked the band or not came later, and calling stuff FAGGOT BULLSHIT was reserved for only the worst possible tripe imaginable.

Oh yeah and I realize that a lot of it 'round here is tongue-in-cheek, but then again I know much of it isn't. So when did it start? Am I the only one who didn't see such bizarre hostility in their formative years? Are some of you just bitter bastards? :dopey:

Internet thing. Bitter unfounded criticism always existed, but more often than not it goes hand in hand with being a social recluse, since this contempt branches outward towards all their surroundings. You'd be limited to hearing about it to those who registered themselves as "critics" and had some sort of media outlet. But once al gore invented the internet, they had the freedom to bitch to their heart's content, and still avoid realistic social interaction, all without the confines of their forebearers' media constructs. win win!

Im definitely gonna blame the internet for this one. Not to say elitism came from the internet, but it certainly scattered its seeds across the world once it came into full swing.

In the 80s, weren't there always fights between the metalheads and the hardcore kids at crossover shows? And a "beat their asses!" rivalry between hair bands and thrash bands at places like L'Amours?

Jim LotFP said:
In the 80s, weren't there always fights between the metalheads and the hardcore kids at crossover shows? And a "beat their asses!" rivalry between hair bands and thrash bands at places like L'Amours?

all that stuff was greatly exagerrated ... I was part of that scene and was at those shows in NY.

yes, there were fights ... but it was all good in the end and it had to do mostly with "individuals" not over "scenes"

I think it’s a trapping of the underground, not just metal. The punk underground was/is kind of like that too. It’s a misguided, dumbass credibility thing. Regardless, I dunno, but I fucking hate it. Some metalheads just love to be “in on the secret” of a band/genre/album, etc., and thirty minutes after they are, they look down their noses at those who haven’t gotten there yet, or just don’t agree. People don’t seem to be able to tell the difference between a genre they don’t appreciate and “FAGGOT BULLSHIT”. There’s great music in every genre. Period. The fact that I can’t appreciate some of it says more about my adopted limitations as a listener than the albums’ worth. I fall into some of this bullshit from time to time, but as time goes on, I realize that most times just because a reasonable person thinks an album is crap doesn’t mean that another reasonable person might love it. That whole “one man’s trash...” adage rings true.

Fuck you all and your poser attitudes :)

It's the intarweb. People can say whatever shit they want knowing full well they can't get their asses kicked for it. Before the web there was always the chance you could run into the guy or band you trashed and get a serious beatdown.

I was actually thinking about this revolution in communication today as I was surfing this board while getting my hair trimmed by a hot bint with a lower back tattoo. :kickass:

Eminor said:
I think it’s a trapping of the underground, not just metal. The punk underground was/is kind of like that too. It’s a misguided, dumbass credibility thing. Regardless, I dunno, but I fucking hate it. Some metalheads just love to be “in on the secret” of a band/genre/album, etc., and thirty minutes after they are, they look down their noses at those who haven’t gotten there yet, or just don’t agree. People don’t seem to be able to tell the difference between a genre they don’t appreciate and “FAGGOT BULLSHIT”. There’s great music in every genre. Period. The fact that I can’t appreciate some of it says more about my adopted limitations as a listener than the albums’ worth. I fall into some of this bullshit from time to time, but as time goes on, I realize that most times just because a reasonable person thinks an album is crap doesn’t mean that another reasonable person might love it. That whole “one man’s trash...” adage rings true.
yeah i agree

there's a lot of music that is just unequivocally crap though, i can only take "respect peoples' musical opinions" so far when some raver pants-wearing punkass asks me if i've heard the new mudvayne :puke:

It's been around forever with people crying foul at Metallica having the gall to write a "ballad" on RTL and Maiden using synths on the late 80s, but the Internet turned this into an epidemic...I don't view elitism itself as the problem and demanding high standards from music is a healthy attitude as far as I'm concerned, but combine it with near-fundamentalist views on music and you get an instant asshole most of the time.

Dude I stayed away from South of Heaven for YEARS because of all the widespread criticism (I got into Slayer in '92 I think). I was not happy when I finally picked it up though, mostly because I spent all that time assuming it was crap, which it very well is NOT.

Wasn't really a change in sound, it just wasn't Reign in Blood part 2.

And therein lies the problem with the metal community as a whole. Goat forbid you make a classic album because anything after and less than 10/10 is written off as being total shit.

It's not 10/10 buy or die, it's only 9/10??? What a worthless piece of shit.

Jazz is a lot like metal, the acceptable perameters are so narrow

Btw gayodot is at least true to its muse. I can think of dozens of "metal" bands who did what the market dictated for years just to keep making money, at least toby and greg do their stuff and remain artistically tr00. J, you have to respect at least that aspect of them my seccesh bro:)

Yeah, jazz purists have actually kept me away from that whole realm for years. I mean at least I'm used to the metal elitists by now. :loco: