When do you feel good enough to record a band??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
I want to record bands but im just not sure if im confident i guess??
Whats your advice and whats the least you could get away with if i want at least ten bucks an hour??:Smug:

record a couple bands for free, then you will know. There's alot of no talent people recording bands, don't be intimidated.

Suggestion: Don't do free work
It'll give people the impression you'll work for free in general. It set me back a fair bit because when I wanted to start charging, people were still like "OH BUT IT WAS FREE LAST TIME!"
Record some friends bands for a small fee, get some experience and a small portfolio.

Eventually your mixes will start speaking for themselves, and the work should start rolling in fairly frequently.

I started out recording my own stuff with a computer microphone and an acoustic guitar. Eventually I expanded my rig and started recording different stuff and got better with experience. I used to do recording for free with a good friend of mine, then when I started charging for recording he still expected me to do it for free for him. Well, the fact that I wouldn't record him for free basically ended our friendship. So that shows his real motive for our friendship, using me for free recordings.:Smug:

So I say unless you are in the band, don't do it for "free" but do it for dirt cheap, like $5-10 per song. Make the recording experience more valuable to you than the money. Then gradually bring the price up with your experience.

Speaking for myself here... Many moons ago when I started out recording I did my own stuff for a while, then I did some demos for my band, then I recorded a few bands for free that I was good friends with. Once I felt I had something worthwhile to offer as a recording engineer and something to show for it is when I started charging. You'll know by others reactions if you are good enough even if you don't particularly feel confident. The confidence comes as your portfolio grows... once step at time! Good luck bro!!!

I wouldn't work for free. Giving a band a day of recording in exchange for lunch plus $50 is beneficial for both of you. They get work done cheap, and you don't get taken advantage of completely. Just be up front and tell them they are guinea pigs.

I just started recording a band 2 last week after recording myself for about 2 years. They buy me a 6-pack of microbrew for every session, so I consider that payment!! :kickass:

Our first band recordings were done using about 4 cheap as shit mikes in a bedroom with XLR cables strung down stairways. We had about 4 curly headphone cables stretched to their limit gaffa taped to walls and talkback was achieved by yelling up the stairs! I miss those days sometimes. (These were mostly mates bands though)

Just have fun with it.

I started recording for £6 an song... which is fuck all but it allowed me to start charging more gradually over time. I charge £20 a day now and I'm moving on to £25-30 this summer, which is finally enough to start buying nicer equipment :)

Joe

Doing it for free might make you look like you'll continue doing it for free. You gotta be a little aggressive and atleast demand something in return, don't do it COMPLETELY free. I don't know if it's the human psychology or whatever, but even a small free of some kind will act like an indicator to them, letting them know that they can't expect to use you. Demand that they buy food/drinks to your place atleast, it's always better than 100% free.

Remind yourself of the saying "Nothing is free in this world" (or something like that :D).