When things 'click' and u get emotional

Lordenlil

FROST
Apr 19, 2002
Norway
vill.no
I am listening to Burzum - Filosofem. As some may know there are
a couple of really epic and tuned down instrumentals on it..

Now, there's been sunny here for a long while now, but earlier
today dark clouds started mixing in. I also sat in the window an
hour ago and drew some trees btw.

Oki, so I'm sitting here and the sky turns darker, the melodic, dark,
monotone Burzum stuff is on and then it starts raining. I can
hear both the rain and the music now, as the window is fully open.
And then the refreshing air keeps flowing in. So I got this feeling of
dark serenity. This rulz, and I wish I had a beer. :)

Don't u just love it when these things happen? :D

It's actually incredible that you should mention that now, because I'm about to go to bed (it's quite late/early and I have to go to Uni tomorrow) and I was listening to 'A Blaze in the Northern Sky' on headphones.

I noticed that there was a particularly large amount of fuzz present, and when I pressed pause to try to find out what was happening, I realised that it was pissing down outside. So I turned the volume down a bit so I could hear both the music and the rain simultaneously.

I know Darkthrone aren't as hypnotic or epic as Burzum, but I had the same kind of effect happening.... and I have a beer!

Well probably the closest thing I got to something that you described was when I was lying on my bed listening to Opeth, I just put on MAYH, and while Prologue was playing, it started to actually rain. That was abit wierd, but it comforted me in some way.

After that I went and got a beer :D

\m/

i sort of get that with Emporer...i tend to go for walks around 11 pm or something, and i was walking through an alley and there was this puddle of water that gave a perfect reflection of the moon, along with the music gave a very satisfying evil/dark effect.

(if y'all remeber, this was the same day i scared the shit out hte two whores...a post on that thread is written in my sig.)

Yeah..

When I go on walks down this remote dirt road next to my house, there is a great view of the sun setting behind the foothills. Once, I watched it while listening to "A Change of Seasons" by Dream Theater..It was great :D

Not so much any more, but that's because of the damn computer.
But occasionally I light up some candles and I just sit there and
read the lyrics and listen.. complete freedom and release from life.

NP: Burzum - Tomhet (Emptiness)

That happened to me while I was in North Carolina. It was about 3am and everyone was asleep, but being the insomniac that I am I couldn't sleep. I decided to sit outside on the hotel's porch and listen to music while watching the sky. I listened to a bunch of songs then turned on Vintersorg - A Star-Guarded Coronation. During the chorus I noticed I couldn't see any stars in the sky except for one. For some reason listening to that song while staring at that lone star got me all emotional.

Originally posted by Belial
That happened to me while I was in North Carolina. It was about 3am and everyone was asleep, but being the insomniac that I am I couldn't sleep. I decided to sit outside on the hotel's porch and listen to music while watching the sky. I listened to a bunch of songs then turned on Vintersorg - A Star-Guarded Coronation. During the chorus I noticed I couldn't see any stars in the sky except for one. For some reason listening to that song while staring at that lone star got me all emotional.
I've had something similar happen to me a few years back, except it went like this: I was at the outer banks, it was new moon, I was standing on the coast and I couldn't see ANYTHING! No moon... No stars (guess it was cloudy)... Nothing... All I could hear was the ocean hitting the shore... I just sat there and listened to the albums "Scenes" and "Introductions" by Marty Friedman... It was awesome...

Yep. Going for a walk way after hours with something like Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, or Tool will always get my emotions flowing. Haven't done it for awhile though.

Cows, I sit in absolute dark and listen to music like you said, it's awesome, because your other sences are dulled down and all you can really focus on is the music. It's really great.

i've had that happen a few times... once it was just one song...

Kevin Gilbert - Song For A Dead Friend

it's about a guy who's best friend commited suicide, and when Jeremy did that i must have listened to that song non-stop for a week... it just really hit me hard. Everytime i hear that song now i well up inside, Kevin Gilbert is a fucking genius... That is the hardest a piece of music ever hit me. I didn't do anything that week but sit there listening to the song.

Originally posted by Lordenlil
But occasionally I light up some candles and I just sit there and read the lyrics and listen.. complete freedom and release from life.
Hell, yeah!

Originally posted by ChokingParasite
I sit in absolute dark and listen to music like you said, it's awesome, because your other sences are dulled down and all you can really focus on is the music. It's really great.
Yup.

When I was in Jamaica a couple weeks ago, I got word that my uncle died in a very upsetting circumstance. Later that night, I was lying in the dark out by the pool, lost in BWP, which I hadn't listened to in a while. And when the title track came on, that was it, it was just too intense. I started bawling.

Another memory I have of feeling an intense connection with the music was in Romania in '99. It was of course late at night and I was on the balcony of this out-of-the-way hotel in the middle of absolutely nowhere, just the tiniest little town, listening to the Gathering on my headphones. It was so peaceful, and it dawned on me how few people would ever experience that perfect little corner of the earth.

Great thread, just the other evening my wife dragged my lazy ass out for a mountain bike ride, and she knows I won't do it without my minidisc player and headphones to get up those goddamned hills. (this was in eastern Vermont which means lots and lots of uphill riding) Anyways, it was about 7pm when we set out and by the time we had been riding for about 1.5 hours and I was nearly dead, the sun had almost set and I still had on my sunglasses to keep bugs from flying into my eyes, so it was really dark in the woods. We came to this really straight, long, DOWNHILL dirt road totally shaded by trees and I was listening to Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse and my body was beat and yet I was so full of energy as I flew down that road... I was in another world altogether at that point because I could barely see it was so dark out... what a trip that was! I was completely seperated from the rest of the planet at that moment. earlier in the ride, it was none other than Follow the Reaper by CoB getting me up those hills, that stuff gets me cranked!

cheers,
-iz

I sincerely and deeply miss listening to atmospheric music in complete darkness and/or when it is raining.
I live in a townhouse at the moment, so there are lights all over the place :\ Also, Brisbane hasn't seen much wetness in the last 6 months, it's got about half of what is apparently average. I need to head north to Cairns where it literally buckets down, and cancels out all other noise :) I'd be back in my old room as well, with light-blocking curtains and it's far away from most noise.

Burzum is great for the effect, Filosofem has 25 mins of ambience with track 5, I also like the album Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, especially tracks 3 and 4, they are epics.
Other bands I find good for darkness/rain/procuring emotional/atmospheric states...Raison D'etre (just about any album, later ones moreso), Limbonic Art (Moon In The Scorpio), Desiderii Marginis(especially with rain), Emperor (The Wanderer, In Longing Spirit and The Majesty Of The Nightsky), Letum, Necrophorus (Underneath The Spirit Of Tranquility) and Sephiroth.

I purposely at times put aside specific times (usually after 11pm) to just sit in front of my friend's home theatre setup when no-one else is around, and enjoy the atmosphere, bass and serenity good quality music can offer ;)