When will the OPETH legacy be complete??

I'm not sure they'll carry on much longer. They talk of Deliverance-Damnation as their crowning opus, as if it's their final big achievement before they quit. Also, Mikael seems to be following plenty of side-projects as well as experimenting a lot within the band. Perhaps he'll pursue a non-death metal direction.

Keep your fingers crossed though, I'm probably talking crap...

Yeah...I imagine that after Damnation, there probably won't be another full-length till early 2005 (this is a complete pulled-out-of-my-ass figure). I can see them either finishing there or doing one more afterwards.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know...every band runs its course, and 7 albums as of next month is a damn lot. Most great bands only put out 3 or 4 or 5(Emperor, Carcass) before calling it quits. But who knows? Maybe they'll keep changing styles and go on for years to come...a la King Crimson! :)

However, I know that the members won't stop making music...at least not Mikael. So if Opeth disbands, it will be interesting to see how he invests his time creatively.

There are a lot of bands who put out huge amounts of albums (Rolling Stones, for example), so there's no reason why they couldn't continue on and make 10 or 15 albums if they wanted to, but I expect that after 9 they may either drastically change direction, or focus more on side projects. Who knows, I'd be interested to see a new prog rock project with Mike and Peter, I'm not huge into Bloodbath, at least not compared to Opeth.

IntoObscurity said:
There are a lot of bands who put out huge amounts of albums (Rolling Stones, for example), so there's no reason why they couldn't continue on and make 10 or 15 albums if they wanted to, but I expect that after 9 they may either drastically change direction, or focus more on side projects. Who knows, I'd be interested to see a new prog rock project with Mike and Peter, I'm not huge into Bloodbath, at least not compared to Opeth.
But in the example of the Rolling Stones, their real meaningful output stopped during the 80's. Now, the CD's they put out are just sub-standard albums that give them excuses to do annual multi-million dollar tours.

Some bands contune with a great lasting output...the Melvins, Fugazi, David Bowie, Leonard Coheh, and Tom Waits come to mind. However, these things don't happen too much...I hope Opeth can go on for a very long time like these artists, but for some reason, I can see them as being another Carcass, Pixies, etc...a band that puts out several awesome albums and then calls it quits when they feel the vision has fulfilled its potency.

Often, the more a band tours, the less they write, or least write well. I expect a long gap until the next album. Though I'd love one a year!

Since they've perfected their current epic death prog style, I'd be interested in some changes, such as a full-time keyboardist (piano or mellotron, NOT cheesy goth synths) or some creative experimentation with shorter or more standard song structures (not formulaic of course, still creative & fresh).

Well, if they could manage to keep making albums that are this good and continue progressing slowly (or quickly even), I wouldn't mind if they did 15 albums, and when I'm 40 and someone asks what the best album is and where to start with them, my eyes kind of glaze over and I say "all of them".

I really hope the will go on for as long as they have ambitions for it. It would be a tragic loss of great music if they split up or just decided to go different paths

Hopefuly they'll be around for years to come, though I'd have to expect that after touring for Damnation they will take a well desrved break. Think about it they've been realeasing an album almost every year sience they came to be. By the way, Diospada, that picture is fucking great.