where comic strips go to die

avi

W3RK3R
Aug 21, 2002
Oly, WA
www.itsatrap.com
my local paper the Olympian.

I swear - my paper has the worst selection: Peanuts, For Better or For Worse, Shoe, Cathy, Hagar the Horrible, Family Circus, The Wizard of Id, Ziggy, Dennis the Menace, Sally Forth, Blondie, B.C., Prince Valiant, Garfield, Beetle Bailey, Frank and Ernest, and the Born Loser. The good ones? Maybe Doonsbury I guess, but that's about it. No fun.

0sm0se said:
Some papers, particularly in western NY have spiderman, I am envious of them.

My paper in Winston-Salem gets spider-man. Personal favorite comics in my paper: Zits, Dilbert, Non-Sequitor, Get Fuzzy, but I also get all the ones named earlier and some other ones too. Seriously though, nothing will ever touch Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side, why must the good ones burn out quick while Peanuts went on for 40 years?

I think a lot of people on this board would really like Non-sequitor if none of you have ever seen it.

the later shaky-handed strips aren't so good. pretty much everything after they introduced wacky newish stuff to keep new readers (decades ago) was lesser than the original ones.

heh:

In the 2004 book America (The Book), written by the staff of The Daily Show, a parody of Mallard Fillmore appears in a section about political cartoons:

* Panel 1 - Mallard: Liberals want to tie the hands of industry with more environmental legislation.
* Panel 2 - Mallard: Why must we punish our most productive citizens with an income tax?
* Panel 3 - Mallard: Ooops! I forgot to tell a joke!

"Mallard Fillmore" readers who failed to get the joke alerted Tinsley, who responded in kind. Tinsley decided the above satire was not merely a spoof, but a forgery meant to sow confusion. In the strip's July 5, 2005 edition, and continuing through the July 6, July 7, and July 8 strips, Tinsley lashed back at the America (The Book) parody.

links to the "I missed the joke" Tinsley strips are on the wikipedia site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallard_Fillmore

Yeah, I loved that part in America: The Book, because it's so true of the comic so frequently. I should clarify that that's the reason I enjoy it from time to time.