Where do Opeth go now...?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
So with Deliverance having been released for a few months now and doing really great in all kinds of charts, even mainstream and Damnation set for a release quite soon, Opeth have set themselves up well for the comin year, with touring covering the rest.

So, after all this success... and hopefully the success of the tour aswell, what do you see Opeth doing? Mikael said that he was going to take a break from Opeth, maybe do a side-project with Steve Wilson, but I've been wondering lately what if things go too well and he DOESN'T return to Opeth and they disband... I mean it's justified isn't it? They'd be leaving on a high note, with 2 great successful albums and a worldwide tour.

Anyway, what do you think?

I don't like the thought, but I can imagine that the follow-up to 'Damnation' will have more weird (electronical) sounds, more in the Porcupine Tree-vein.

I think it would be the best if they'd disband after Damnation...like Emperor did it. But as poldarn said, they still have to record one album to fulfill the MFN contract.

Well I can see everybody is optimistic about Opeth's future here. I'll still hold hope and just say "Maybe they make another amazing album like they have been doing their whole career?" Does that actually seem impossible?

Well, I don't see it as an impossibility for Opeth to create another masterpiece, but still I don't want them to start sounding shitty and all that. So for me, they could retire. At least Åkerfeldt is talented enough to do some great sideprojects (like Bloodbath).

But, the question is, is a shitty opeth better than the average?