Which band(s), IYO, has the best lyrics?

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Which band(s), in your opinion, has the best/most meaningful lyrics? I'm really big into lyrics and just wanted to see if there are any out there that I need to catch up on.

Some of my picks of the top of my head would be:

Tool
Opeth
My Dying Bride
The Crown
Meshuggah
Iced Earth
Today Is The Day
Cradle of Filth
Arch Enemy
NIN
Dream Theatre
Slayer
Dimmu Borgir
Emperor
Bloodbath; Swano in general
Most by Mike Patton

Probably more that I cant think of right now...You dont have to neccesarily like the band to appreciate their lyrics.

:devil:

My dying bride
Opeth-Morningrise to Still life
Dark Tranquillity
Iced Earth
At the Gates
Death
Blind Guardian
Nightingale

Pig Destroyer does IN FACT have cool lyrics. They came to mind first for me...Anyone interested in serial killers or.. maybe uh... forensics or anything like thaaaat would love it. I love the story JR wrote on the inside of Prowler in the Yard.

Gorguts has awesome lyrics as well. He really thought out and researched stuff for 'From Wisdom to Hate'.

[font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]Usually I can’t stand lyrics as they are always either excessively OTT or deep internal stuff that only means shit to the author

Plenty bands have been ruined in my eyes when I read their lyrics

I do like old Napalm Death lyrics (Lee era) a lot though as well as:
Autopsy/Abscess
Pungent Stench
Impaled Nazarene
Damaged
Blood Duster
[/font]
[/font]

Harakiri most definately. Check out their album Twilight of the Idols for some damned good lyrics. And don't be put off by the damned titles!!!! You normally may not think a song like "Blessed be the Retarded" would have the best lyrics but you'd be fucking surprised here.

hrmm. metal, like most genres, has a noticeable dearth of good lyrics. Here are some noteworthy albums:

cryptopsy - none so vile & blasphemy made flesh (lord worm's lyrics are sometimes silly, but have really good parts in them as well. i heard he teaches english now so its no big surprise)

morbid angel - domination and covenant (vincent really did have some good writing for these albums, its a shame he had to go.. its funny trey thinks the lyrics of domination are "hateful" and "not what morbid angel is about.")

carcass - symphonies and necroticism
(these albums really deserve more credit for being clever, funny, and thoughtful in both rhetoric and content. impropagation is just chock full of great lines-- "where should stand row upon row of cold grey remembrance stones, my cash crops now grow" and more. just because the content isnt about some angsty, vague thing like "loss" doesn't mean its not worthy. other gore lyrics dont even come close!)