Which changes would you make in Opeth's sound for your personal taste?

strange_aeons said:
Åkerfeldt/Lindgren co-written twin guitars stuck into the new proggier stuff.....

Concept album

more clean vox with heavy guitars

more heavy vocals with softer guitars

longer instrumental passages

QUOTE]

Thats basically my list. I'd like to see some of the other members get into the writing process a bit perhaps, although I dont realy care if they do the twin guitars or not (they sort of seem past that, dont they). I love the idea of more instrumental passages, and simply long, long songs.

Though I love all the albums a lot these are what I would work on/change.

1) More dirty and heavy MAYH guitar sound

2) More prevalent and fluid bass lines like those found in Orchid and Morningrise... they provide a good balance to the dirty MAYH guitar style than Mike's bass he did on MAYH (Though i like it a lot)

3) Less Deliverance heavy vox style and more MAYH heavy vox style (transition from the high pitched heavy and the low growl heavy sound)

4) Less overly clean vox style --more aggression/hunger/necessity of emotion in the clean sections.

--- something about all these things causes a darker and brooding atmosphere which I enjoy.

yourdeadgroom said:
Two words: DOOM METAL :D
Agreed...
My thoughts are more mechanical however...
Åkerfeldt and Lindgren writing together again..
More input from the rest of the band on what goes in the record..
More doomy sounds here and there...
More growling on the heavier songs...
A bit more gore in the lyrics would be a lovely touch...
Experimentation with different tunings...
and...i believe thats it...

1) Wilson's time with Opeth has come and gone in my opinion and many others. There was a phase when I liked Porcupine Tree, now i don't find them spectacular, but that has nothing to do with my distaste for Wilson's additions to Opeth. Wilson's production has made Opeth's sound too smooth and polished, they need to lose a bit of that.
2) Spend far more time preparing your songs. Granted, you're so talented you can get away with putting out better albums than most bands by simply writing it all quickly in the studio, but come on... you can do so much more.

Hopefully, the break they take after all their touring this year/early next year will give them time to regain some of their ambition and stop being so lazy about the band. The next album supposedly being a concept album may be just the ticket to give them the incentive to focus hard enough and make the mindblowing masterpiece we know they're capable of.

EDIT: Maharet, that ass picture was funny, but it's more than a little unsettling when used as a signature. The other members of my family might find it a little odd, and would probably not appreciate it one bit. Maybe you can find something a bit more tasteful? Eh? Eh?

EDIT: Maharet, that ass picture was funny, but it's more than a little unsettling when used as a signature. The other members of my family might find it a little odd, and would probably not appreciate it one bit. Maybe you can find something a bit more tasteful? Eh? Eh?
You made me sad!!! But i have a better pic to put in there anyway...

I would love to hear an ALL death/doom/wutever album from them. I love all of the mellow stuff, but I need an album that I can just go fuckin crazy to from start to end. And don't tell me "well then you should listen to Bloodbath" because they are NOT the same :yell:

:)