Who had great voices for...

Carcassian

Utopian Blaster
Oct 6, 2005
The Fens
Just a thread discussing the most over looked and rarely discussed aspect of any metal band: the vocalist.

Which vocalists have you enjoyed from the various genres, and why?

I enjoyed :

John Tardy Obituary

Just because that guys voice is utterly, utterly unique. It really casts a sick image or two in my head, and fits the music of Obituary perfectly.

Jeff Walker Carcass

I love Jeff Walkers high pitched rasping - it just sounds so venemous and unpleasant. I prefer his voice on Heartwork, even though Necroticism is my favourite album. I think it's something to do with the clearer, less medical lyrics.

Abbath Immortal

yeah, I know technically he sounds like fucking Popeye, but if anyones voice was destined to be the true destined sound of Icy GrimessTM, it's Abbath.

A.A. Nemtheanga Primordial

Man, I love the voice of this cat on The Gathering Wilderness - why? Because it sounds so desolate and wind swept. I know, I should get out more.

Messiah Marcolin CANDLEMASS

THE clean voice of metal; I was considering Dickinson here, but for sheer operatic power and gravitas, it has to be the Godfather of epic doom - the be-afro'd fatman himself!:headbang:

Mike Scalzi from Slough Feg would be one of my favorites just because he's got a unique voice.

Another favorite would have to be Rainer Landfermann who only did one album with Bethlehem, but his vocals are absolutely insane. It's a shame he only did one album with them. He's in Pavor now, but he's not the vocalist.

There are more, but I'd have to think about why exactly they're my favorites.

Guthrum said:
Mike Scalzi from Slough Feg would be one of my favorites just because he's got a unique voice.

Another favorite would have to be Rainer Landfermann who only did one album with Bethlehem, but his vocals are absolutely insane. It's a shame he only did one album with them. He's in Pavor now, but he's not the vocalist.

There are more, but I'd have to think about why exactly they're my favorites.

Great choice, man. He adds a really unque flavour to their already special music. I really couldn't imagine anyone else singing for them.

Carcassian said:
A.A. Nemtheanga Primordial

Man, I love the voice of this cat on The Gathering Wilderness - why? Because it sounds so desolate and wind swept. I know, I should get out more.

I agree completely. Others I love are
Vintersorg- Love deep voices
Danzig- Same, plus incredible range (or used to)
Peter Tagtgren- Has the best scream, plus is very versatile
ICS Vortex- I've only heard him really sing on Colossus, but I thought his voice was so timeless, and wise. I wouldn't have liked that song much if he wasn't singing in it.
Tarja Turunen- Great range, power, etc.
Peter Steele- Back to me liking deep voices...
Summer from Illdisposed on their earlier albums- It had an effect on it I believe, but it's the lowest, most brutal growl ever. Amazing.

Rob Halford, Hansi Kursch, Kai Hansen, Nocturno Culto, Orlok when he's not using a laughably shitty microphone, Keith Dean, Dave White, Flemming Ronsdorf, Martin Walkyier, Alan Tecchio, James Rivera, Bruce Dickenson, early Ozzy Osbourne, Albert Witchfinder, Scott Reagers, Scott Weinrich, Bobby Liebling, Quorthon, Cronos, Tom Angelripper, Deathmaster, King Diamond, Tom Fischer, Bobby Lucas

Yeah, I'm digging Vintersorg too - have you heard his side project, Fission ? Their "crater" album was fucking great, intelligent metal.

Heavy Metal : Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin
Epic Metal (if there is such a genre): Eric Adams
Power Metal : John Arch
Progressive Metal : Geoff Tate (or Buddy Lackey, or Ray Alder.. i could name many here)
Thrash Metal : Tom Araya (because the guy just spits hate)
Doom Metal: Robert Lowe
Death Metal: George "Corpsegrinder: Fischer
Black Metal: any baby with its lolipop just taken

Dodens Grav said:
Rob Halford, Hansi Kursch, Kai Hansen, Nocturno Culto, Orlok when he's not using a laughably shitty microphone, Keith Dean, Dave White, Flemming Ronsdorf, Martin Walkyier, Alan Tecchio, James Rivera, Bruce Dickenson, early Ozzy Osbourne, Albert Witchfinder, Scott Reagers, Scott Weinrich, Bobby Liebling, Quorthon, Cronos, Tom Angelripper, Deathmaster, King Diamond, Tom Fischer (only in his Tom G Warrior days, for me), Bobby Lucas

Dodens, what think you of Eric Wagner and Zeeb Parkes ?

BTw, those in bold I agree with, those underlined are particular favourites. Great choices.

Trouble and Witchfinder General...two bands with awesome vocalists indeed. Wagner's vocals on The Misery Shows are fantastic, in particular.

BTW,

Witchfinder General - Live '83

Live album, Nuclear War Now Productions
February 2006

1. Free Country
2. Burning a Sinner
3. Witchfinder General
4. Requiem for Youth
5. Shadowed Images
6. Friends of Hell
7. Death Penalty
8. Last Chance
9. Invisible Hate
10. Quietus
11. No Stayer
12. Love on Smack

Dodens Grav said:
Trouble and Witchfinder General...two bands with awesome vocalists indeed. Wagner's vocals on The Misery Shows are fantastic, in particular.

BTW,

Witchfinder General - Live '83

Live album, Nuclear War Now Productions
February 2006

1. Free Country
2. Burning a Sinner
3. Witchfinder General
4. Requiem for Youth
5. Shadowed Images
6. Friends of Hell
7. Death Penalty
8. Last Chance
9. Invisible Hate
10. Quietus
11. No Stayer
12. Love on Smack

Yeah, I saw that release upcoming too. You'd better believe I'll be purchasing that particular sweet slice of aural heaven. I just hope the quality doesn't blow too much - just the thought of an authentic live rendition of "Invisible Hate" makes me quiver - I just wish there was a live version of Rabies kicking about!

Big Boss, from Root. His voice is the voice from a God, so grave and powerfull.

I also agree with John Tardy and the guy from Primodial.

a like too:
Glenn Hughes
and Mikael A. in "brave murder day" & "my arms..." is just awesome.

IOfTheStorm said:
Heavy Metal : Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin
Epic Metal (if there is such a genre): Eric Adams
Power Metal : John Arch
Progressive Metal : Geoff Tate (or Buddy Lackey, or Ray Alder.. i could name many here)
Thrash Metal : Tom Araya (because the guy just spits hate)
Doom Metal: Robert Lowe
Death Metal: George "Corpsegrinder: Fischer
Black Metal: any baby with its lolipop just taken

Oddly enough, I also enjoy Geoff Tates voice, which is odd because I don't really care for Queensryche as a whole.

As for Tom Araya - well, I used to think his voice was The Shit - but that's because it was. His vocal delivery just got progressively worse starting with Divine Intervention, and deteriorating from then onwards... he kind of just got into this bizarre fashion of monotonous shouting - and now I find his voice incredibly irritating in latter day Slayer. Of course, it doesn't help that their latter day music sucks major ass too...

AlphaTemplar said:

He does have quite a mighty voice in him. When I saw him live I never realized how small he was, just from pictures, TV, etc. And I was just like "How??"

I had the same reaction with Danzig though.

Carcassian said:
Yeah, I'm digging Vintersorg too - have you heard his side project, Fission ? Their "crater" album was fucking great, intelligent metal.

I had heard bad things about it, so no...But perhaps I will now.