Who was the first to incorporate clean/growling vocals into their music?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Going back to the ignorance is bliss thread, that's how I feel right now. This answer may be right under my nose, but I feel asking fellow Opethians is easier than doing the research myself. So, was Opeth the first to mix the two vocal types within the confines of a song, or was it done before them?

There were defintely some that were using clean vocals and growls in their songs. For example Edge Of Sanity - Spectral Sorrows (1991 or 92 ??? Dan Swäno rulez !!!), My Dying Bride, The Gathering, etc... It is really common, but no one seems to push that style to such a perfection like Opeth did ... ;)

You mean using both clean and growling vocals in their songs? Well, Cynic did so on their Focus record back in 1993. Testament had some growls in their Practice what you Preach album in 1989 not sure if there were some on The Legacy in 1987.

what's with theatre of tragedy? dunno what their first albums were like, and when they were released, but they do exist quite some time.

seems you got fairly addicted to www.fiese-scheitel.de

Yeah, I was so impressed by Nitro's appearance and Steel's 'Say Goodbye (to Love)' that I couldn't resist putting up a fully fledged spandex campaign. :loco:
But I've only got one Nitro avatar left, so the worst is already over by now and I can finally return to my actual self in the knowing that I made a contribution to the preservation of a tasteful sort of clothing that mustn't die out because it's way too 'metal' :loco:

i appreciate your motives in helping to revive a species almost died out. you deserve... well... the purple heart at least for your efforts :D
:err:
:lol:
:loco:

*blushes*
Oh...thank you! ;)

Wow, I just realized that Mark changed the avatar limits, so the new max. is 100x100. Now I can even spread the word...errr... the look of spandex in XXL :D