Whoa, Katatonia has apparently finally made it into the mainstream here in Finland.

madu

Jul 21, 2005
In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
This girl was telling me about her recent favorite songs, and surprised me by including Deliberation among them. Apparently it's quite played in the local radio, and appeals even to the crowd that wouldn't otherwise listen to it (she's more of a trance/pop fan). This event made me check if I could find a chart of the recent most played songs on Yle X, one of the most popular channels here, and indeed, Deliberation was at place 23.. somewhat of a strange sight between Beyonce and Justin Timberlake :lol:

1. KALLE AHOLA: En koskaan
2. NELLY FURTADO: Maneater
3. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS: Tell Me Baby
4. PINK: Who Knew
5. MADONNA: Get Together
6. OUTKAST: Mighty 'O'
7. SMAK: Antaa palaa vaan
8. CHRISTINA AGUILERA: Ain't No Other Man
9. CMX/KOTITEOLLISUUS feat. 51 KOODIA: Vapaus johtaa kansaa
10. BOB SINCLAR: World, Hold On (Children of the Sky)
11. BEYONCE & JAY-Z: Deja Vu
12. CHELO: Cha Cha
13. LAURI TÄHKÄ & ELONKERJUU: Rakkaus ei oo pysyvää
14. DON JOHNSON BIG BAND: Busy Relaxin'
15. ROOTS: Don't Feel Right
16. ZEN CAFE: Rakastele mua
17. EL PRESIDENTE: Without You
18. KEANE: Is It Any Wonder?
19. EL PRESIDENTE: Without You
20. MARIE SERNEHOLT: I Need a House
21. MAJ KARMA: Rukous
22. BASEMENT JAXX: Hush Boy
23. KATATONIA: Deliberation
24. DANKO JONES: First Date
25. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE: Sexy Back
26. VALVOMO: Mikä kesä?
27. EZKIMO: Tytöt moi
28. ANTTI TUISKU: Sekaisin
29. KANYE WEST/LUPE FIASCO Touch the Sky
30. RENDEZ-VOUS: Kesäyö

Apparently Anders' 'wish-spamming' campaign has worked quite well! Congratulations! I love to see a band I really love getting the attention they deserve.

I'm kinda surprised that amorphis isn't on that list...
anyway mainstream is ehm...homosexual!

no intent on insulting the gay and lesbian community

Godamn, about time they get the recognition they deserve. Katatonia pretty much kick the shit out of most heavy rock/metal bands these days. If they were number one in the charts, there is no doubt in my mind they have earned it.

I can't imagine Katatonia beeing played on the radio. Katatonia is that kind of music that you should listen to the whole album to get the feeling, I can't imagine Katatonia beeing played after a Hip Hop music and before a Pop music, you just can't feel the Katatonia style. It's kinda weird for me but well, it's just my opnion.

PS: I agree with Paradoxile.
:lol:

I predict there to be some station play here in the states during and after they tour here too.......I mean....shit......Katatonia isnt too far from "underground" mainstream IN A WAY ....and they do kick the shit out of any band on the radio.....I see absolutely nothing wrong with them being on the radio......I welcome it.....I dont think they need it....but I think it could be part of the natural progression of a well produced, talented band that writes so well and performs such kick ass shows.....

rokk

Deliverance6 said:
I see absolutely nothing wrong with them being on the radio......I welcome it

rokk

what I DO see wrong is all the other bands, but hey, who am I to tell them what to listen to?

im happy for Katatonia though!!

it seems a bit good and so bad cuz as you can see katatonia on the list with pop songs and etc.. it means there will be new katatonia funs by talking like katatonia is a new band :s
For example; in turkey some new kids talking about Greenday in magazines... and they are talking like its a new band :s
i dont want to talk about katatonia like that... if someone come and say "i heard katatonia, its a new band, i love their mytwin song" then i can kill him!

You have to admit the music is moving into pretty popular territory. 'The Great Cold Distance' is so well produced and with those phat riffs the trendies like, it's not really surprising.

katatonia and linking park touring together :oops: haha
nah, IMO as long as the guys keep it real (tr00 and kvlt) they can go mainstream... fans who really appreciate the band won't mind, even if it does mean more expensive concert tix and having to share their music with people who just like to go with the flow. Plus think abt all of us having rare out of print cds and merch... endless possibilities, like Reece buying a house with all the profit from selling his huge collectionto the trendsters muahahahahaha (oh that was sarcasm so u know)
But honestly, i would be happy if they get to be able of making "a rich and famous" lifestyle out of thier music ;)... they will rember the few that were always behind them... hee hee they better will!

I whish they were doing so well in Italy as well...
Anyways a part seeing their name next to pop or commercial songs...I really like when I hear them while listening to "band it"..and I would be happy finally not to explain to people who Katatonia are and that they are those Katatonia with K and not with C etc. etc...
On the other side I wouldn't like to see them playing in very big venues..simply because their music fits perfectely with a more intimate atmosphere and not among thousand of people...
I'm listening to TGCD right now and I 'm realizing once again how great they are and that they will ever be my favourite band until the day I die!
I just would like to see them live more often...damned I have to find a way to get rich!

this is not good you'll regret it, cuz this mainstream thingy will push katatonia to make amainstream/commercial (whatever it may be called )album and therefore ,it'll suck...you'll see...