Who's Your All Time Fav. Guitarist

Hmmm....Loomis (obviously), Bjorn and Jesper from In Flames, Kerry king and Jeff hanneman from Slayer, Silenoz and Galder from Dimmu Borgir, Mikael and Peter from Opeth, Dave Mustaine from Megadeth, Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth and i think that covers them but if i had to pick the best from this group i couldn't. It's too hard!

If you add those guitar players together you got those most
expressive unified team . If you Hammer's have not heard any of their music expand your horizons!
Sorry Better Luck Next Time

I am sicked to see that Dimmu Borgir and In Flames have made this list and not John Petrucci... this is sad. Anyway, here are some guitarists that are worth making the list...

John Petrucci (of course)
Tony MacAlpine
Allan Holdsworth
Al DiMeola (sp?)
Tony Levins
Steve Vai
Jeff Loomis
Joe Satriani
Darrell Abbott (or Dimebag, if you like Pantera)
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Jeff Beck
Jan Hammar
David Gilmour
Jeff Buckley
Buckethead
Les Claypool
Chuck Schuldiner
Ihsahn (not only playing, but creativity)
Peter Tagtgren (same as Ihsahn)
The guys from Meshuggah... their timing is AMAZING! (just try to learn New Millenium Cyanide Christ. hehe)

Which reminds me... Meshuggah are using 8 string guitars on their new album. They said they aren't using the 8th too much, just because it'll sound floppy as hell. I don't know what to expect.

I have a lot of guitar players I like. Here is a list of some of them.

George Lynch
Jeff Loomis
Jeff Waters
Andy Timmons
Reb Beach
James Murphy
Vitto Bratta
Dimebag Darrel
Glenn Tipton
The "Double H-Team" from Exodus
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Dan Wexler
John Petrucci
Janick Gers

That is a few that I like. I have been getting into a lot of the old hair-rock players lately.

My favorites include Ace Frehley, (early) Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, Jake E.Lee, Marty Friedman, Alex Skolnick, Criss Oliva, (early) Dave Mustaine, Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrel, Chuck Shuldiner, Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhodes, Tom Morello, Tracci Guns (o.k. he is in a "hair band" but he shreds) , Joe Satriani, and George Lynch.

All time favorite: tie between Chuck Shuldiner and Steve Vai.

for metal i would choose Jeff Waters...He is perfect in riffs and perfect in solos too...but he hasn't written songs that are up to his playing for years...I mean what he plays lately is cool but it has nothing to do with what the man CAN REALLY PLAY...

about solos i would choose Malmsteen but he has forgot how to write songs...he knows how to plays solos only...

about music generally i believe that nobody can sound like Mark Knopfler...I mean technique and feeling at the same time...
u don't know who he is??
he is a sultan...

Well, my all time fav is a tie between Jimmy Page, and Tony Iommi. Those two bands got me into music. Once I heard these guys,,I knew I had to play the guitar.

And dont say there are way better guitar players out there, cause I already know that. Its the way these 2 guys made me feel when i heard their stuff,,,way back then(15 or 20 years ago) and still today

if it wasn't for Iommi there would be no Heavy Metal
Page was'nt the best lead player but he wrote some of the best riffs ever . A thing I have always taught my students is in most song writing , 95% of the song is rhythm 5% led I mean lead
learn to walk before you try to run

Your right on too. Page is sloppy, but its wierd,, he is good slop. His solos run together, he forgets time signitures, he uses kills way more than most so called big names, but something about his style. Speaking of running solos,,,Heartbreaker=40 strokes for every 4 count.....thats running together hahahahaha.
The rythem for Ramble on....that shit is amazing, when i firts started playing,,Ramble on was on my list hehe,,it took me a Looooooooooooooong time to get that one from a beginner. I love to play that song. ANd the Gollum part, man thats one of teh easiest, but easily one of the best sounding leads of teh early 70's. ANd the way Jim uses those open strings,,,I could go on forever. John Paul Jones is among one of the of the greatest too, he is not only an amazing bass player,,he rules on teh acoustic guitar as well, thats a little known fact, im sure you know, since you teach. Led III was chocked full to the TEETH with Johns rythem hand. And John coined teh riff for The Ocean.....great song, and a great riff. Lioving loveing Maid was JPJ riff too.

Iommi was very simple in the beginning, sloppy too, all those string noises, but his early stuff wil lallways be top shelf in my book.