Why Did They Break Up?

The Lord Conqueror

I AM THE BLACK WIZARDS
May 26, 2002
In The Wordless Chamber
Hey all! At The Gates was like the first metal band I ever listened to, much less got into. Why did they break up? Does it have something to do with Thomas, as he seems to be quite the busy fellow.

Oh, and is it just me, or was Thomas looking all shot full of heroine on the Dimmu Borgir DVD? :)

LC

they break up, becuase Tompa was boring death metal and he often quarre with the rest guys...

about Dimmu DVD... well... he was total drunk i think

The story I heard was that they didn't think they could ever top, let alone surpass, "Slaughter Of The Soul", so they just thought they'd better quit instead of becoming a parody of themselves.

But that might also be an official story to keep up appearances...

well, this story sounds better, but i think the truth story is that about conflict with Tompa. look at this guy. he didn't a part of metal scene a few years...

but yes, they couldn't record something better than "SOTS" for sure... it's absolute MASTERPIECE...

I've heard the Twins couldn't get along with Tompa, and that's why they left, then band just decided to call it quits without their main songwriters.

I heard they were under too much pressure from the record label, and the twins were having more fun in the Haunted, i took this from an interveiew with Tompa.

Taken directly from www.the-haunted.com, the Haunted's official website:

"On the 27th of July, Anders and Jonas decided to leave At the gates. The rest of ATG quickly realized that it would be impossible to continue without the main songwriters in the band."

So there you have it. I also heard 'back in the day' that they split up because they thought they had reached their peak with Slaughter of the Soul. Its a nifty concept, to be remembered for the best album of all-time, which they are.

It doesnt state exactly why the brothers left At the Gates, but you can safely assume it was their decision to leave that killed the band.

long live The Haunted!

ps. Tongaroa sounds very Maori/New Zealand-like :)

hey there ,, it is maori :) .. by the looks of that smile, you are okay with the use of that name ,, ive already encountered a few maoris who have taken it the wrong way!! ..

but nice to meet you anyways :) ..

it is true enough, that they couldnt have ever topped SotS, and thats why i think the final closing track is even more apt, they knew it was all over, but they knew they had done their masterpiece as well, its good that the band could close their career together in such incredible, emotional and meaningful ways ..

and the haunted and the great deceiver kick ass anyways, so they have moved on to good things anyways ..

Sure, i'm ok with you using the name Tongaroa, as long as you pay me and my tribe royalties for every cd you sell... haha dude im just kidding :) besides, im only 1/8 Maori, otherwise im probably as european as you are!

I think its really wicked that someone out there in the world has decided to use an awesome maori name for a band name, especially Metal. I will have to check you guys out for sure.

Tangaroa is the god of the ocean, correct?

Anyways, that is an interesting viewpoint on the song "the flames of the end" being a self fulfilling prophecy of the bands iminent demise... but personally I think it has connotations more towards apocalypse/destruction of mankind/earth than about band issues.

Still, it's a very chilling and strangely appropriate final song on the last recording.

Take care.

I read,from the ATG site but written by Anders,that the twins got very tired after their last tour and everyoneone was worn out,besides Tompa and them were having trouble so the twins left.

and I think they could have done another SOTS or even a better one.doing a better album than Terminal Spirit Disease was hard and they managed to do it