Why does this mix sound like ass?

Hey thanks for your thoughts. Cookie to you sir!

Nothing fishy with the drums. It's SSD (of course.) I did use some parrellel comp on a drum bus for some smack. Maybe that's it. I'll ease back on that.

Muddy Guitars. Can you tell me how to combat that? What freqs add the dreaded mud? Would multiband comp and eq be a decent approach to combat this?

Again seriously, thanks for the pointers.

It is definitely some problem with the drums. Guitars do not seem too bad to me.

It sounds like the snare may be clipping, and the overheads are pretty terrible in my opinion. Way too chimey.

Try using MF/SD2 ohs, they own the SSD ones.

Drums are clipping, phasing or flamming, not panned properly. Just keep a stock SSD kit with slight EQ (I like to highshelf the snare a bit) and work from there.

All you guys were right about the drums. You have great ears. I just couldn't figure out what was going on. Couldn't put my finger on it sort of thing. The toms were all centered! I don't know how that happened either. I haven't had a chance for a proper remix but I'll will soon and go for round 2. Thanks everyone for your insight.

Oh and it's SSD with real cymbals so there's no going to SD2 for cymbals. I'm working on getting better overhead mics but for now I'm working with what I've got. CADM177... I've haven't found a hi hat or ride cymbal sample set that's anywhere near as expressive as the real thing. Too bad I hate that ride cymbal so much!

Again thanks all!

Nothing fishy with the drums. It's SSD (of course.) I did use some parrellel comp on a drum bus for some smack. Maybe that's it. I'll ease back on that.

Check if you're parallel comp track isn't out of phase with the original drum track, some plugins tend to do that. Use Voxengo sample delay to correct this

Check if you're parallel comp track isn't out of phase with the original drum track, some plugins tend to do that. Use Voxengo sample delay to correct this

Now that's a damn good tip! I use Reaper and it's supposed to have auto plug in delay compensation. I did use a Nebula program for some compression on the NYC drum bus. Nebula has a large sample delay...

Hm. Def something to look into.

Thanks!!!

OH's sound MONO bro. That and the drums are way smashed and small sounding. MOAR AMBIENCEEEE.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into seeing what i can do via a stereo enhancing plug in and manipulation of the reverb. I was thinking I had too much reverb on the ovh :erk:

=D

I just hear a bunch of distortion on the drums. That cymbal is awful too (I know that's not your fault). The guitars aren't that bad though.

The cymbals do sound bad don't they? I will definitely look into it. I wonder where all the drum distortion is coming from? Perhaps it is an issue in the parellel busing.

Thanks for your input guys!