Why I dont liek red chilli peppers...RIP OFF of Petty..

westknife said:
difference: opeth took one lick that is similar to a camel lick (lmao @ "camel lick"), but rhcp pretty much stole a whole song --- the structure, the melodies, the whole feel of it... even the lyrical theme is the same. there's a difference

well....now I dontr seem so bad ....do i..??.....ahahaha........thanx for teh insightful deabte westknife...!!!.......PEAC EOUT

waz seriously your schtick got old a long time ago. you don't have to misspell every other word, put long strings of "........." in between fragments, and end everything with your ridiculous trademark "PEAC EOUT"

like seriously is that a joke? is it supposed to be funny? it's fucking annoying, i'm about to put you on my ignore list, along with that faggot who wouldn't take that raccoon penis thing out of his sig

You want to hear musical plagiarism?

Listen to almost anything off of 'Absolution' by Muse

Listen to "Never Enough" off of Dream Theaters 'Octavarium' disc.

You can tell what DT had been listening to a LOT of before going to the studio... to the point that its almost silly.

They also rip themselves off in "The Root of All Evil"

The singing style, the drum beat, the keys... its almost like you could swap verses from each tune.

Maybe I'm just being overcritiical, but it jumped out at me.

Don't you guys think that if a band as widely known as RHCP knowingly plagarized ideas from another widely known musician such as Tom Petty, they or someone along the line would have the brains to speak up and prevent said song from being released as the album's first single? (could be wrong on that but don't really care as the point stands)

westknife said:
you still haven't said what it is that they are ripping off, supposedly

He's saying DT are ripping off Muse in the song Never Enough. It does sound an awful lot like Muse.. parts of Panic Attack do to. But that album is full of 'influences' that stand out quite substantially.

Ten SiSi said:
lol anyone has a formula. If there was no formula, everyone's music would be awesome. Like Ephel Duath's Pain Necessary To Know. Ephel Duath released one of the greatest black metal records of all time before this drastic change to jazz screamo featured on their latest record.

Fixed. :kickass:

Opeth is extremely formulaic. Just listen to everything they've ever done... Orchid and Morningrise were similar but with a tad of evolution between the two. My Arms, Your Hearse officially started the group into the sound they still use today, but with more commercial hooks and better production, and less classics. Nearly every song on MAYH was a classic. The same can be said about Still Life. BWP had a few classics. Deliverance had a couple. Damnation... meh. Ghost Reveries... well... just one. Maybe two if you really want to make a huge stretch here. TGC, despite it's simplicity, will become a classic. Atonement might, but overall the record seems to border on background music rather than something that sticks out and demands the attention and deep emotional attachment that used to come standard in an Opeth album.

I mean no disrespect by this post and I still like Opeth. So don't flame me. I hate the fact that every time a post or thread is made in this forum, one must state "don't flame me." Despite the huge truth of my above statements, it's still only my opinion which I, as an American citizen, have a right to. :lol:

Death_To_False_Metal said:
We have a good series of hating/snob/obnoxious/ignorant posts here on this RHCP discussion !

Keep'em coming, I have a blast !

And by the way, RHCP are doing the same shit over and over again from your point of view !

Oh My God, there are acoustic folk apergio on all songs of the latest Opeth ! Fuckin amazing ! Never heard that before !
Its more incredible than that, the song starts with evil riffs and growls and suddenly ( surprise !!!), you are in the mliddle of a Nick Drake tune !

Try to convince me that Opeth doesn't rely on a formula and for that matter pretty much every band in existence !!!

Hail finally someone speaks the truth. People who like a band are so blind to the formulas that they use. Then they are so quick to point out others "formulas". Oh noes (insert favorite band) wouldnt ever follow a formula!

If you like the music then listen to it, if you don't like it then don't listen.

captfb said:
Hail finally someone speaks the truth. People who like a band are so blind to the formulas that they use. Then they are so quick to point out others "formulas". Oh noes (insert favorite band) wouldnt ever follow a formula!

If you like the music then listen to it, if you don't like it then don't listen.

like someon pointed out before....yes bands have forumla....but in this specific case of RHCP....they stole teh hwole song......down to the lyrical theme...and melody and chord progression to strum to the vibe...everyt single thingis way freakin siomilar.......so tell me know.....how are we not supposed to notice......yeah opeth does that...maybe one lick or riff....but this song RHCY call thier WON is a rip off of tom petty....a complete ripp off....so thats why we're cryin foul....!!!.....listen to both songs again......PEAC EOUT

Im not sure, outside of long tunes, lots of contrast (growl vs singing, etc)and using fairly melancholy chordings and such, that Opeth has much of a formula, at least not in the same way that a band like RHCP does.

They do bounce around, evolve, and throw curve balls here and there... Atonement (as mentioned before) is a good example.

But aside from the guess that "the first song on the disc will typically be one of the most intricate" of the whole cd, I can't really say that they sound formulaic from disc to disc.

Now King Diamond on the other hand..... :) God bless em!!

Is it fair to say that having a signature sound is also part of relying on formula? Is that a good or bad thing?