Why I respect Opeth...

konyaku

New Metal Member
Sep 20, 2004
The fact that they can sound SOOOO heavy and brutal...yet their guitars are tuned to standard E! amazing...

When i first went to look for opeth tabs, i was expecting it to be tuned to like a Low B or something haha

i generally don't like bands that tune way down....not because there's something wrong with tuning down in and of itself but because it becomes a songwriting crutch. that's my beef with most nu-metal bands--there's nothing original about the same 3-chord riff, regardless of what tuning it's played in.

Yeah, they're not really heavy and brutal, it's just that they play really disharmonic (is that a word?) riffs and chords which sounds full of tension and that is what you are describing as "heavy and brutal". Morbid Angel are heavy and brutal, Bloodbath is heavy and brutal, but Opeth is more disharmonic and they also use chromatics to achieve that sound often.

ninefeetunderground!
dude, ive missed you! thanks for making fun of me. i didnt think youd notice.
love,
dorian

Frank Gambale, Sean Lane, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist), Uli Jon Roth, de Lucia, McLauglin, Buckethead, Malmsteen, Prince, Page...

[EDIT] ^^^^ "What is the period?" translated from German.

Anyways, back to topic, I have to agree. Songs like Master's Apprentices are extremely heavy without tuning down to C or B. The only time I've really needed to tune down dor Opeth is Drop D on Demon of the Fall. It shows they know their music without relying on a deeper sound to acheive heaviness. It's something that few bands can acheive. So far, I can only think of Finntroll and Opeth who can be heavy and fun without tuning insanely low.

Not to say low-tuned bands are bad. Hell, I love Amon Amarth and In Flames as much as the next guy. But, it's much easier to acheive a heavy sound if you drop the strings rather than through writing stylized music.

konyaku said:
The fact that they can sound SOOOO heavy and brutal...yet their guitars are tuned to standard E! amazing...

When i first went to look for opeth tabs, i was expecting it to be tuned to like a Low B or something haha

:Smug: doesnt like, every emo band play downtuned, i dont see any brutalness in their music....

and yea tuning your guitar down limits a lot of stuff you can do standard which is why a lot of these "brutal bands" sound the same. like some guy said before.