why is a lot of death metal satanic?

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
as the title sujests, why?

im not a satanist myself as im not a religious person and dont follow any of that sorta stuff. i know it has an impact on the music i suppose but im sure that some just say they are satanic for fun it seems, i saw katatonia at the underworld and Akercocke supported, after the gig i saw the blonde haired guitarist from akercocke and the brief conversation i had with this so called satanist was surprisingly like talking to my mum, he was a very nice satanist, anyway im draging on so bye.:loco:

Satanism is more present in black metal then death metal.
Im not a satanist or anything myself, but i can say that alot of so called satanists are very nice people. You have to know what satanism is all about before having an opinion on them.
Satanism is a religion like any other, and those who say the oposite are stupid. I dont think there would be any extreme metal without it, since i think Venom are the 1st one to use the pentagram and satanism in their music, and we all know how influencial they were.

Heh, why not? I'll rant on this topic yet again.

Some background info...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanism.htm
http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanis1.htm

This is the only "official" form of "Satanism" that has ever existed. King Diamond is apparently a Satanist (even an official member of the Church of Satan), Garm and Erik of Ulver consider themselves Satanists in discussions in Lords of Chaos, and Ihsahn of Emperor has mentioned in the same book that he also read LaVey's writings and generally refers to himself as a "Satanist", although they all have their own versions/thoughts/ideas/interpretations on what a Satanist is. The guys from Akercocke, I have read, are all active followers of Anton LaVey's ideas although they abhor the current state of the Church of Satan.

Generally, people who believe in and ACTUALLY worship Satan aren't Satanists, they're angry Christians.

As for the reason why, I'd suggest that a lot of bands use what they incorrectly percieve to be Satanism (all-purpose evil stuff) as a gimmick to make names of themselves, raise some publicity, and give themselves a lyrical angle. As for the ones that are actually Satanists, you'll notice from my examples above, that they tend to (or at least used to) perform Black, as opposed to Death, Metal.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
As for the reason why, I'd suggest that a lot of bands use what they incorrectly percieve to be Satanism (all-purpose evil stuff) as a gimmick to make names of themselves, raise some publicity, and give themselves a lyrical angle. As for the ones that are actually Satanists, you'll notice from my examples above, that they tend to (or at least used to) perform Black, as opposed to Death, Metal.

Thats what I always thought. I find the actual members of the chruch of Satan dont make a deal of it, it just christians who sieze upon it, as opposed to many who claim to be satanists just to shock and get attention.

Then there's the bands who profess to be satanic and evil and simply spew Sumerian and Lovecraftian names all over the place to sound evil.

Cradle of Filth are the kings (queens? ;) of religious allusion. They reach into their evil grab-bag and pull out anything they feel will further their evil image.

Most Pagans/Atheists are labelled by society to be satanists. So society sees anyone who doesn't worship a major religion but has faith in themself or an "alternative" higher power as a satanist.

The whole LaVey stuff is nuts. Hotel California is all about the Church of Satan, apparently. Look on the cover of the album, where the band is standing around in the lobby. Off to the left (if I recall) there's a bald, goateed figure standing on a balcony in the background. That's purportedly LaVey.

I ramble now.. so it's time to stop this nonsense.

People need to learn how to separate satanism
from devil worship. Only prob is that both
use the term satan. In devil worship it represetns a very evil dude with hooves, horns and a beard.
In ("true") satanism it represents turning away
from god. Shai'tan mean "the accuser" or something
similar in hebrew, if I remember correctly.

Btw, I'm neither.

Wow, it just occured to how stupid, fucked up, scared, and supersticious most the the human race is. The no 13th floor on most buildings is a testament to this fear/stupidity. I feel fortuanate to be a member of this board and one of the few to have a mind not clouded by mythological/political crap.

Satori

Wouldn't that make the 14th Floor the 13th Floor? Which brings up the question, if someone comitts suicide, by jumping out a window on the 13th/14th Floor of such an establisment, how many Floors did they fall?

GZ

Of all phobias triskaidekaphobia must be the silliest one. Most others can be traced to one survival instinct or another from far back, but the number 13 didn't pose a life-threatening danger in the stoneage...

Most youth hostels don't have a room number thirteen either. What about hotels?