WildeStarr Update (Vicious Rumors Bassist)

WildeStarr

Sep 5, 2005
Alameda, CA. USA
www.myspace.com
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=69648

3-31-07

WildeStarr enters studio:

WildeStarr, the new band featuring original Vicious Rumors bassist Dave Starr and vocalist London Wilde have recently begun recording their debut album at Trident Studios in Pacheco California. Co-Producing along with the band is Juan Urteaga (Testament, Vicious Rumors, Exodus). The first single "Generation Next" has been completed, and will be available for a free download online some time in April.
WildeStarr band lineup is: Dave Starr on all guitars and bass, London Wilde on Vocals and keyboards, and studio/session drummer R.R. Valdez.
Stay tuned....

wildestarrmedia@aol.com

Actually looking forward to this - I realy enjoyed the last VR album.

Thanks! I think VR fans will like what we are doing. It is only natural that some of the VR sound will end up in our music since I have played with the band for so long. Geoff and Mark are a big influence on my guitar playing, but there are other other classic metal influences as well... Priest, Lizzy, Savatage, etc.

I thought Warball was pretty good (see my review http://www.live4metal.com/reviews-466.htm). Damn. Link is fucked

EDIT:
Another band that I’d heard the name of, particularly during the thrash years, but never got round to listening to. VR have been in the metal game since 1985, which in itself is no mean feat, and looking them up on the BNR database www.bnrmetal.com/groups/viru.htm, I think it’s fair to assume that they’ve had quite a chequered history. I raised an eyebrow to see that the band has the vocal talents of none other than James Rivera, of Helstar/Seven Witches fame, along with members and past members of other well respected bands like Chastain and Ozzy Osbourne.
I was expecting some relatively trite music, to be fair, given that the band were described as
“Power Metal”. Of course, I was expecting something in the vein of Rhapsody of Fire, all synthesisers and dragons, and happily I couldn’t really have been more wrong. This is Power Metal that reminds me greatly of the Halford solo albums – and that is some accolade. Straddling the line between guitar-centric good old fashioned heavy metal, the vocal stylings of Power Metal and often straying into drum and riff heavy thrash metal, this is some stirring stuff.
Rivera's voice, is, as usual, absolutely stunning, and remains one of the most impressive in metal. The guitars, courtesy of Geoff Thorpe, with lead guitars being handled by the twin guests of Brad Gillis and Thaen Rassmussen. Founder members, and rhythm section Larry Howe (drums) and Dave Starr (bass), carry themselves with the utter professionalism one would expect from veterans of the scene. Geoff Thorpe has co-produced the album, which is to his considerable credit, given the clarity and distinction between the individual elements. He manages to do the difficult in perfectly balancing the soaring lead guitars, while retaining the dominant punch of the rhythm section perfectly.
The song writing, which often strays into the generic in the realms of the power metal warrior, is of a uniformly high standard. The appeal to the cheese, a constant refrain from the chain mail bikini brigade, is conspicuously missing here, although you will catch the odd stirring vocal chorus, such as with the titular slow-burner, “Warball”. Elsewhere, the songs can carry a palpable Testament like attack, verging on the down right thrash laden – such as with the absolutely excellent track, “Cross Threaded”.
This then, is an album with a rare broad appeal. The Power Metal crowd into, say, the more aggressive stuff from the likes of Primal Fear are likely to find much to like here. Likewise, those die-hard thrashers with a penchant for bands who straddled the thrash/heavy metal divide such as the afore mentioned Testament or Annihilator are likely to be absolutely in their element. One can only hope that such a band of talented and battle hardened veterans can get such a fine album out to a deserving audience

Any thrash influences likely to be included at all ?

Looking forward too. Everything a Vicious Rumors classic line up member releases should be interesting.

A pity you didn´t play in Spain last year. A lifetime waiting and I saw VR three times in six months and in october a couple of more show.

In Atarfe Vega Rock festival, the band was very kind and talkative. And Larry drunk every bottle he could :kickass:

Looking forward too. Everything a Vicious Rumors classic line up member releases should be interesting.

Thanks Marco!
Hope you like what you hear when this first tune comes later this month. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I really believe in what we are doing and I think it is easily as good or better then anything I have done over the years with VR. It really helped me to be alongside great guitar players and song writers Like Geoff and Mark, as well as David Chastain, Vinnie Moore, and Brad Gillis.

:headbang:

Here you go!!!

http://myspace.com/wildestarr

m_9f0f6dc231542a1d9388ffaa7476818b.jpg

Just listened "Generation next". Vow that´s amazing man! Specially guitar job is awesome. There are some liks (maybe that´s the word I´m not sure) that I´m astonish. A must buy when you release the album. In your face and intense american power metal. Maybe, in my modest opinion, vocals are a little high pitched for my tastes but London is fine too.

Counting the days for listening the whole stuff.

Well done Dave :headbang:

Just listened "Generation next". Vow that´s amazing man! Specially guitar job is awesome. There are some liks (maybe that´s the word I´m not sure) that I´m astonish. A must buy when you release the album. In your face and intense american power metal. Maybe, in my modest opinion, vocals are a little high pitched for my tastes but London is fine too.

Counting the days for listening the whole stuff.

Well done Dave :headbang:

Thanks MS!