Will Putney-produced new Acacia Strain

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC

Promise I won't make any other threads about new albums haha, but I can't help but love this band. Production is really interesting- the guitars basically have no content above about 2000hz and are super gritty. Sort of reminds me of Fit For an Autopsy. Haven't decided whether I like the sound yet, but the songwriting is already better than Death is the Only Mortal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Album is streaming.

[youtube]O7urCPXFkmE&list=PLKcGEIO7V0rUv4ckyrt5T1KQDesd6QIZ2[/youtube]

Honestly...even as a long-time Acacia Strain fanboy, the riffs are boring, generic garbage, the 30-minute song is a giant missed opportunity, and even the production is strangely bad for a Putney mix. The sibilants in Vincent's vocals are much too loud, the bass is nearly nonexistent, and the guitars are muddy. He totally nailed that Thy Art is Murder album and this is sort of stylistically similar, but I hate the mix. Even if the last one was a blatant Meshuggah ripoff, the groove of DL's riffs was what held the band together and made it interesting. :(

What happened with the mix ? Sound surprisingly bad for a Putney mix. Although he's always been hit-or-miss kind of a guy.