Windowpane Tab

ditch

<----->
Jun 22, 2005
Australia
Hey guys, I just need to clear something up regarding the Windowpane tabs that I've seen around.

As I'm sure most of you know, (apparently) Windowpane is played with a capo on the 2nd fret. Why is the capo necessary?!? When I first learnt the song ages ago, I played it like the tab said to, with no capo (or if the tab said use a capo, it definitly wasn't tabbed relative to the capo).

Here is a tab that I looked at recently which says capo on the 2nd fret.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/opeth/windowpane_tab.htm

Problem is, using a capo on the 2nd fret and playing the song relative to the capo (meaning your basically playing the song on the 4th fret instead of the 2nd) it sounds completely wrong (obviously because it's being played too high).

So answer my question and tell me why a capo is needed? The opening riff doesnt need a capo, and neither does the verse riff, or any of the solos. Why is it used?!?!?!??

Thanks.

ditch said:
Hey guys, I just need to clear something up regarding the Windowpane tabs that I've seen around.... So answer my question and tell me why a capo is needed? The opening riff doesnt need a capo, and neither does the verse riff, or any of the solos. Why is it used?!?!?!??

Thanks.

Please go out and buy Lamentaions DVD, watch Opeth use capo, write them an email asking why they used a capo because it clearly isn't needed, then roll a truck over yourself and die.

Have a nice day.

ditch said:
Hey guys, I just need to clear something up regarding the Windowpane tabs that I've seen around.

As I'm sure most of you know, (apparently) Windowpane is played with a capo on the 2nd fret. Why is the capo necessary?!? When I first learnt the song ages ago, I played it like the tab said to, with no capo (or if the tab said use a capo, it definitly wasn't tabbed relative to the capo).

Here is a tab that I looked at recently which says capo on the 2nd fret.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/opeth/windowpane_tab.htm

Problem is, using a capo on the 2nd fret and playing the song relative to the capo (meaning your basically playing the song on the 4th fret instead of the 2nd) it sounds completely wrong (obviously because it's being played too high).

So answer my question and tell me why a capo is needed? The opening riff doesnt need a capo, and neither does the verse riff, or any of the solos. Why is it used?!?!?!??

Thanks.

This particular tab is saying which actual frets you're pressing down. If you want to think of it relative to the capo, subtract 2 from every fret number. All of the 2s are actually open (with the capo on the 2nd fret).

Wankerness, thanks for that. That was what I was thinking anyway. Nevermind, I guess I'll just keep playing it without a capo :D I find it a lot harder with one. And without it, sounds just fine to me.

And fhare..I own Lamentations and I know the capo is used. Your post proved nothing.....

fhare said:
then roll a truck over yourself and die.

I'll leave the dying to you, thanks.

ditch said:
Nevermind, I guess I'll just keep playing it without a capo :D I find it a lot harder with one.

I dunno, some parts of that would be pretty rough without one, especially the riff where you have to let notes ring and it's got 8th and 7th frets on the low strings and 2 on the g string. :E IF YOU CAN DO IT THOUGH go nuts ;-)