Windows XP Media Addition

musickey

djenital moosic
Feb 17, 2006
INDIANA
Just bought a Dell XPS 700 and it came loaded with XP Media Addition, i have heard that media addition is buggy and resource hoggy when it comes to DAW based use on a PC. Anyone now if this is the case? and since my PC will be running dual core do i need to deactivate the hyperthread function in the bios menu for Nuendo 3 ?

The Media Center Edition does hog resources more than XP Home or Pro does.
Can you please perhaps provide verifiable information where media centre edition is more buggy/sluggish in comparison to xp home and pro?

are you aware that pro/home/and media centre are the same operating system with identical kernal.
the differences between pro and home are more or less superficial. For intsance - pro has "backup" facitlity.
xp media centre edition is a friendlier GUI for media management and presentation - hence that is why it is called media edition - when you actually utilise your software you are still using the xp kernel.

The hyperthreading technology does not need to be turned off in normal curcumstances.
Anybody running a dual core system will not have any performance problems if they have plenty of ram and external storage - a dual core system IS genuine multi processing - where as standard P4's for instance have a big clock speed but not the same effectivness and throughput as a dual and soon quad core cpu's.

Hope this helps.

ps - 64bit xp doesnt make a difference either - who has utilised 64 bit software? [hardly anybody - hence dual core]

Can you please perhaps provide verifiable information where media centre edition is more buggy/sluggish in comparison to xp home and pro?

are you aware that pro/home/and media centre are the same operating system with identical kernal.
the differences between pro and home are more or less superficial. For intsance - pro has "backup" facitlity.
xp media centre edition is a friendlier GUI for media management and presentation - hence that is why it is called media edition - when you actually utilise your software you are still using the xp kernel.

Have you used it? Well next time you do, take a look at all the extra ram/pagefile usage going on. There are a few more processes that run in Media Center Edition to supply all those fancy menus and crap.