Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Winds – The Imaginary Direction of Time
The End Records – TE043 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

winds.jpg

Well once again Winds is back to transport us into an atmospheric, haunting, and beautiful musical journey with The Imaginary Direction of Time. After being amazed by their last release I couldn’t wait what the band had in storage, and they did not disappoint. This album invokes memories of their past effort, but it also has the band progressing into new heights. One can really tell now that Winds is a band where the members know each other's tendencies extremely well, which has made the songwriting stronger. The music is the beneficiary of this cohesion.

Once again, Winds is able to masterfully blend classical string arrangements, piano, virtuoso guitars, precise and intricate drumming, and emotional singing. The string section is truly the fifth member of the group, as the instruments are woven in perfectly into each song either as leading, soloing or playing rhythms. They are an integral part of the band's sound, and add depth, where on multiple listens one can hear an additional layer of sound. I just can’t imagine the music without string instruments. Classically trained Andy Winter’s keyboards are once again definitely not over the top. He is just another member of the band, and his keys lay the foundation of the songs. He amazes with his subtle, but powerful, performance. Carl August Tidemann’s guitars are without a doubt the instrument that will stand out the most because of the sheer amount of virtuosity he displays. His style is not flashy or excessive, but he has an amazing amount of sweeping melodies, leads and solos, that are hard to keep track of, and you just want to hear them again and again. “Theory of Relativity”, “Visions of Perfection” and “The Fireworks of Genesis” are just three examples of some of his best work on the album. Jan Axel von Blomberg (Hellhammer to most of you) shows that his drumming is not all about blast beats and constant double bass. He continues to show his versatility and talent with a subdued performance, and reinforces my belief that he is currently one of the best drummers out there. Finally, Lars Eric Si’s ties it all together with his sincere and emotional soft-spoken singing.

The Imaginary Direction of Time must be listened as a whole and not be described by individual songs. One will not find simple arrangements with verses and choruses, but rather songs that start and progress to an ending . It all sounds natural and unforced which some “progressive” bands fail to do. Winds, however, does this seamlessly and without much effort. To pigeonhole this album as a metal record sells it extremely short, and anybody expecting such will come to a rude surprise. This is a release for the adventurous, that don’t mind complexity and a blend of styles. It really does not matter what you call it (as some will label it avant-garde or progressive), the point is that this album breaks boundaries and it is simply brilliant.

9/10

Winds Official Website
The End Records Official Website

No way this deserves a 9/10. Maybe if this was the first release by a totally unknown band, but this is by the people who worked on Arcturus and have got an LP that sounds almost exactly like it already. Too little progression. Probably a 5.5/10.

The term "relaxing metal" is an oxymoron, but that's what this is. Kind of like George Winston getting heavy. The songs were too much alike and the vocals too unobtrusive for me to give it full thumbs up, but when the mood's right, I can enjoy it. :Smug:

Winds is what they are. They have their own style incomparable to other bands. If you will just lisen to their songs deeply, you'll soon realize that they are as great as others.

Winds Rule!!! And their Drummer Hellhammer from Arcturus is one heck of a drummer. Sorry for using your name...hehe