winter beer 2005-2006

avi

W3RK3R
Aug 21, 2002
Oly, WA
www.itsatrap.com
the season is upon us once again! and thanks to the (awesome) thread culling of UM, here is the new thread to celebrate!

drunk so far:
Deschutes Twilight - technically a beer for the fall, but good enough for me. Lots of tasty, sweet malt character, but not too heavy. Kind of an American version of Octoberfest I guess?

I've seen a few pumpkin beers, but nothing I haven't had before, so I've yet to drink one. I read in the Northwest Beer News about a bunch of new seasonal releases, one of which included a pumpkin variation that sounded really good. I've gotta lay low a bit until payday, but it's on after that.

the local stores also have Powderhound here, but I no likee.

amstel light--10 bucks for a 12-pack. light, full-flavored lager imported from holland. decent fizz, not too bitter, undertones of cherries, molasses, and manure.

I'm more a spirits drinker in the fall and winter. Beer suits me better in the spring and summer.

I did try Tanqueray's vodka last night. Better than I thought it was going to be.

deschutes stout is my favorite beer ever, all other deschutes i've tried are great but that one is above and beyond.

i'm still on summer beer right now, was drinking pyramid apricot ale yesterday.

yeah, it's like 90+ degrees here. however, i did have an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout on saturday that'd be grand in the middle of a blizzard.

that apricot ale is pretty good. rather sweet, but i like it.

Recent favourites have been Innis and Gun and Hoegaarden Grand Cru (about 10 times better than standard Hoegaarden). I basically don't understand the process of formal beer reviewing, so won't try, but they are definately two of the best beers I've had in the last couple of months.

I don't really spend much time looking into new beer anymore. I found one that is absolutely perfect for me (Stone IPA and Stone Ruination IPA), and so uh I think the searching process is over! I still have bouts where I buy random stuff from the local beverage shop, but nothing even holds a candle to Stone, IMHO.

Blumn-hp.gif

Blue Moon Pumpkin - really good! nice, natural pumpkin flavor without too much spice to get in the way. this is what I was hoping all the other pumpkin beers would be like.

in the fridge:
18309.jpg

I don't remember it being too exciting when I had it two years ago, but the brewery is excellent, so who knows?

I'd pick out beer by how cool the label was if I were ya'll. like that Bifrost Ale one above, that one looks really cool. I think I've had ale before, but I didnt like it too much.

had some of those pumpkin ales this week, i quite liked them. at first i figured that by the end of the first one i'd be sick of the flavor, but that was not the case.

capeda, if you like stone i'm assuming you like hops, so you should try marin county white knuckle double ipa. that's the hoppiest thing i've ever had, good stuff.

dogfish head punkin? anyone try that one? love dogfish head, hate the raison d'etre though....

yuengling lager--ah, memories of philly. $1.20 a pint at mcglinchey's, at all times. porter for 1.40. a faint bitterness, meatier than budweiser, crypto-chinese bouquet.