circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Wintersun – Wintersun
Nuclear Blast Records – October 5th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

wintersun.jpg

Immediately you’re going to notice influences of Children of Bodom and Dream Theater within the confines of Wintersun’s self-titled debut. And, it’s impressive that the latter is essentially a one-man show, helmed by Maenpaa. Hahto (Rotten Sound), the only other member, contributes the drumwork.

“Beyond the Dark Sun” is a brief, whimsical beginning and fully illustrates the Children of Bodom alliteration in the first paragraph. The first track sets a good, fast pace as keyboards run all throughout. Various vocal styles punctuate at certain times, and the growls – though typical – are nicely done. “Winter Madness” captures the spirit of Finnish metal due to its concise harshness. The background vocalizations distinctly remind me of Borknagar and Vintersorg. The drumming in “Winter Madness” is frantic and flawless. By this time, you should begin to notice the masturbatory instrumentation that frequents the compositions; this phenomenon will continue to saturate the remainder of the release. “Sleeping Stars” slows things down, but eventually settles into a mid-paced outing. Speed invades once again as the first sounds of “Battle Against Time” are heard. “Death and the Healing” is one of the more innovative tracks on the record: melodic lulls, much differentiation, and emotional chants abound here. “Starchild” and “Beautiful Death” are very fast, as expected. “Sadness and Hate,” however, halts the pace with its ten-plus minutes of Finnish death. I found it interesting that each track is longer than the previous.

Wintersun, or Maenpaa (however you want to view it), has proven capable of producing a well-rounded album. Even though the record is not devoid of wankery, it succeeds on a variety of levels. Nevertheless, if you’re on a fixed budget, your wallet – citing all the other quality release this year – might not have room for Wintersun.

7.5/10

Official Nuclear Blast Records website

Have you ever heard of Ensiferum? Wintersun actually sounds like Ensiferum and do you know why??? Because it's same freaking guy! You missed this major comparison.

AsModEe said:
Have you ever heard of Ensiferum? Wintersun actually sounds like Ensiferum and do you know why??? Because it's same freaking guy! You missed this major comparison.

Yeah, I knew that; just didn't feel like mentioning that fact I guess.

Good review, but I just dont understand why people use "wankery" so much in metal.
Jari is a badass guitarist and I think its great that he shows his skills that he didnt really show in Ensiferum.
Its gotta be one of my favorites right now.
damn near perfect production.
The vocals are excellent because of the many styles.
drumming is completely insane.
and the "wankery" is exactly what I wanna hear.

circus_brimstone said:
Yeah, I knew that; just didn't feel like mentioning that fact I guess.
Really? I wonder why you didn't feel like mentionning it, it was the most obvious comparison. ( maybe that's why you didn't feel like mentionning it though.. )
What I meant is, the important thing to do IMO was to compare it with Ensiferum since it's the same guy doing the music... But your review is good!

Just curious... you gave 7.5/10 for this album... but you didn't mention really why ( or maybe I missed it ). Can you be a little more precise please? I'm thinking of buying that album.

AsModEe said:
Just curious... you gave 7.5/10 for this album... but you didn't mention really why ( or maybe I missed it ). Can you be a little more precise please? I'm thinking of buying that album.

It's pretty good, and everyone seems to like it more than I do (according to other metal review sites). Stylistically speaking, I would've preferred less soloing/instrumental "masturbation," for lack of a better term. But, the songs included have a great spine.

:loco: Oh hell, just buy the damn thing and tell me how it works out for ya! :loco:

I agree with the review - it is the insanely fast emotionless songs that detract from the overall album. 50% of the album is really quite textural and great, whereas the other fast programmed shit does sound way too much like Children of Bodom IMO.

Still, at the end of the day, it doesn't even begin to compare to the astounding Ensiferum debut but if you like this style, it's worth getting even if you can live with only listening to half the album.

circus_brimstone said:
It's pretty good, and everyone seems to like it more than I do (according to other metal review sites). Stylistically speaking, I would've preferred less soloing/instrumental "masturbation," for lack of a better term. But, the songs included have a great spine.

:loco: Oh hell, just buy the damn thing and tell me how it works out for ya! :loco:
Hehe, yeah I ordered it one week ago, thx dude.

you forgot to mention that the lad is completely insane about Devin Townsend. And it shows throughout the album. The music is excellent, Jari is very skilled, but what does it add to the scene? What i've heard on the album has been done a couple of times - he doesnt add anything new to the genre. But then again, for a debut, this is very promising - i cant wait what he'll do next to be honest.

My friend and i did a video for Wintersun, you can check it here (full version of Beyond The Dark Sun), and there's some additional info and such here (Lowlife Media> metal videos). Check Wintersun's website as well ;)