circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Witchcraft – Firewood
Rise Above Records – RISECD62 – July 26th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

witchcraft.jpg

Firewood is the result of a band holing themselves up in a basement with enough ‘70’s music gear, tie-dye T-shirts, and illicit substances to weather the apocalyptic Y2K disaster. And, of course, Witchcraft – before, during, and following the recording sessions – spun plenty of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi Hendrix, I’m sure. Influences aside, this album is a top-of-the-line release, and one that I’ve been listening to non-stop.

Any preemptive doubts about Witchcraft’s abilities to craft (ugh) substantial doom/stoner songs will dissipate once “Chylde of Fire” hits. The vintage twist found on Firewood, though it obviously hints at decades past, possesses that “Wow” effect. Honestly, after delving into the Black Sabbath-soaked opener, I knew I was in for a treat. In an attempt to preserve credibility, the group used ‘70’s-era, recording equipment, and it does indeed boost their believability. Plus, Pelander’s vocalizations are entrancing and his energetic renditions remind me of Jim Morrison (The Doors). Firewood is not a jovial venture, though, as evidenced by “Wooden Cross (I Can’t Wake the Dead),” which has that Sabbath likeness working in its favor yet again. The lone instrumental is titled “Merlin’s Daughter,” and is magnificent during its minute and a half lifespan; it’s too bad it wasn’t elongated. The aptly-titled “Sorrow Evoker” is an instance where Witchcraft truly shine due to their mastery of melancholy-infused sludge. A few more numbers, which are in the same vein as the previously mentioned material, round out the collection.

On the whole, I can’t seem to conjure a better retro-oriented album. I was skeptical before I fully gave Witchcraft a chance, but they kicked my ass with no effort whatsoever. This is another gem from Rise Above Records, and one that’ll be praised for a long time to come. A definite must-buy.

9/10

Official Witchcraft Website
Official Rise Above Records Website