Within Temptation's Unforgiving

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
Has anyone checked out the first single and video, Faster? I'm really digging the concept, and I'm glad that they seem to be abandoning the Evancescence style in favor of something more energetic and original. I've only heard this song and a 30-second clip of another, but I think this could end up being a masterpiece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, they definitely seem to be heading in a more hard-rock direction with the 2 songs I've heard. The first single was ok but I really, really like Faster. It bodes well for the new album. I'm not a comic book fan so I'm not sure about that tie-in, but at least it's unique and maybe it'll get them a few more fans. I know they aren't going to do a full-blown tour due to Sharon's pregnancy but I really hope they make a date or two on the west coast so I can see them.

Although I am not a fan of the style, I think this is much better than the Amaranthe video/song posted on the other thread. It shares the pop sensibilities, but this looks much more authentic and natural. And it's catchier.

I like the song, though I do miss the days of WT being a goth metal act. Which I guess is really only the first album, even though I do enjoy all the others.

And Sharon is my girlcrush.

"Where Is the Edge" didn't impress me at all, but this is so good. And catchy. I hear it once and it's stuck in my head the rest of the day.

As long as it sounds good, I don't care what the style is, and that's a pretty good song.

This is why sometimes one can catch me listening to showtunes, 80's music, and Backstreet Boys instead of metal. And yes, I realize Backstreet Boys isn't anything special or amazing. But I still like them. And I'll probably buy the new Within Temptation album!

If you like it, listen to it! :)

As our favorite bands steadily become more commercially viable, the temptation is naturally there to be more commercial. Within Temptation sold something like 5 million units of Heart of Everything. I suspect they'll exceed that on this release by a pretty good margin.

Really didn't like Utopia, but this isn't bad, I kinda like it..more hard rockish, I miss the other stuff, but it's pretty good. About the Evanescense-ish sound, I could be wrong but I thought it was Within Temptation who did it first. Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them in NY:) Got my tickets in the mail yesterday, yay me!

everything about this song is fun except the prechorus. "...faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and on and on and on"

About the Evanescense-ish sound, I could be wrong but I thought it was Within Temptation who did it first

It's in the ear of the beholder, but I thought Mother Earth was a pretty diverse gothic-sounding album. Between Mother Earth and Silent Force, Evanescence came out and Silent Force ended up being a much more heavy, straight ahead affair. The ballads were very modern sounding, whereas on Mother Earth they were very different, like In Perfect Harmony or Never Ending Story. Lyrical content was more Evanesence-like too. Mother Earth features a lot of stuff about nature, but Silent Force is a more personal, moody album.

The only thing that pisses me off about Evanescence is that bands like Within Temptation and Nightwish pioneered the female vocalist in metal trend, but Evanescence ended up being the preeminent band in the genre. Although Nightwish and Within Temptation have seen their popularity grow immensely in large part due to Evanescence's success. I wouldn't have been able to imagine those bands moving 5 million units back in the Wishmaster/Mother Earth days.

The first time I heard the CD I couldn't get past the fact that it was catchy and not heavy enough. But the more I listen to it, the more it appeals to me. Frankly, I can't STOP listening to it. Fans of the heavier Within Temptation style will no doubt be disappointed and grumble "Sell out." There are no growl vocals - no MALE vocals at ALL on the entire album. But, of course, Sharon's vocals are gorgeous and I quickly got over the lack of meatier male vocals. Some songs are clearly lighter, poppier if you like, but a number of them have the heavier beat and atmospheric sound you'd want from WI metal songs. In particular, the song "Iron" is a winner.

Overall, if you want the darker, metal of earlier WI, you will be disappointed. But this is something different. Lighter, catchier, hummable, it totally sticks in your head. Remember it's a concept thing and not necessarily indicative of what WI will do in the future. Enjoy it for what it is.

The first time I heard the CD I couldn't get past the fact that it was catchy and not heavy enough. But the more I listen to it, the more it appeals to me. Frankly, I can't STOP listening to it. Fans of the heavier Within Temptation style will no doubt be disappointed and grumble "Sell out." There are no growl vocals - no MALE vocals at ALL on the entire album. But, of course, Sharon's vocals are gorgeous and I quickly got over the lack of meatier male vocals. Some songs are clearly lighter, poppier if you like, but a number of them have the heavier beat and atmospheric sound you'd want from WI metal songs. In particular, the song "Iron" is a winner.

Overall, if you want the darker, metal of earlier WI, you will be disappointed. But this is something different. Lighter, catchier, hummable, it totally sticks in your head. Remember it's a concept thing and not necessarily indicative of what WI will do in the future. Enjoy it for what it is.
how does the album compare to The Heart of Everything album?