In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Wolverine - Still
Candlelight Records - CDL307 - July 11, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
cover_wolverine_still.jpg

For a band with a name such as Wolverine, and that has been compared to Opeth and Dream Theater, this was a bit of a disappointment. Granted, there is a resemblance to Opeth's Damnation, but of course I was expecting some killer heaviness and complexity. I got very little of that. It's difficult to consider this as metal. Now, before anyone crucifies me for being closed-minded, hear me out. It may not be heavy, but it's not bad either.

The songs are full of dark emotions, which may be the one thing giving these mellow songs the meat they need. Vocals are where the melodies come out, and we're introduced to this driving force right from the beginning. 'Sleepy Town' has a nice combination of fast rhythm, mesmerizing acoustic licks, and eerie singing. No song on this album has as much impact as 'Liar on the Mount', which features samples from a speech of President George W. Bush. Not only does it have a stellar guitar solo, but lyrically it hits home for me. It's intriguing to get a Swede’s viewpoint in song on the current affairs of my country.

Apparently, Wolverine used to be of melodeath fashion, then took a left turn after their first full-length record. That's a bummer, but at least they do what they do well. Still is very slow-moving, and even drags at times, but there's enough here to enjoy, especially if you're into the quiet side of metal. I've certainly learned to not make assumptions based on a band’s name. Metal is full of surprises.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Wolverine Official Website
Candlelight Records Official Website

Haha, can you say what Bush quote it was?

People in Florida thought Bush was responsible for hurricanes a couple years ago, just utter craziness. Why aren't these Swedes making lyrics about their own presidents or whatever? Everyone's got a wacky one it seems. :) Ooook, I don't think I've actually heard these guys before... I was confusing them with someone else, can't remember who though.

If I remember right he was quoted saying "War's not my first choice" and quoted quoting "even though I walk through the valley of shadow of death", don't have time to check it from the cd right now.

When I reviewed the disc, I stated exactly what Oinkness pointed out - why don't Wolverine concentrate and comment on the current affairs of their country? Especially when it seems they don't have much to say about Bush actually. Anyway, a good review, the only point I don't agree with is the praising of the "Bush song". I think the heavy opening riff especially in that song is awful. And the Bush quotes shoot the whole thing down anyway.

hey i know, how about they concentrate on whatever current affairs they want. I hear people here in the us talk about other countries current affairs constantly so whats wrong with a little commentary from some swedes? I really dont see the problem so how about when you put out your own record you can write whatever lyrics you want..

oops i almost forgot in my stupid commentary, good album!

sorceron said:
hey i know, how about they concentrate on whatever current affairs they want. I hear people here in the us talk about other countries current affairs constantly so whats wrong with a little commentary from some swedes? I really dont see the problem so how about when you put out your own record you can write whatever lyrics you want..

oops i almost forgot in my stupid commentary, good album!

Good one.:rolleyes: