Woods of Ypres - Woods 5:Grey Skies

zinescene

Feb 11, 2002
Michigan
www.myspace.com
I honestly had not listened to this band and all and wouldn't have likely given them a 2nd thought had they not appeared on Zod's "best of" list for 2012 so figured I'd give it a shot. Needless to say I was completely blown away. The vocals reminded me so much of Peter Steele (Type O Negative) and the music is a darkend doomy metal. I'd say that Woods 5 is sitting comforatably in my top 10 of the year.

Sadly, this will be the last album by the band as singer David Gold passed away last November. What a heck of an ending and it's sad we won't get to see what he would have followed this up with

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite band of the 2000's, easily.
Lots of Type O, Crowbar, COC, and Katatonia influences, more heavily in recent years...
Given David's death in December and the subject matter of this amazing swan song make it often a hard listen for me...but man, what an unreal final album-- his baritone sounds just perfect to me.

I was lucky enough to fly to see them in Toronto twice but was unable to go to their recent stops in suburban Atlanta and Charlotte last year...

When I told Dave that I had good floor seats for Rush the same night as his Charlotte gig, he told me "Aw, man, go see the Rush show-- floor seats, too! I have 30 years left in me...Rush don't!"

Favorite album of 2012 for me.

I honestly had not listened to this band and all and wouldn't have likely given them a 2nd thought had they not appeared on Zod's "best of" list for 2012 so figured I'd give it a shot. Needless to say I was completely blown away. The vocals reminded me so much of Peter Steele (Type O Negative) and the music is a darkend doomy metal. I'd say that Woods 5 is sitting comforatably in my top 10 of the year.
Very happy to hear you enjoyed it. It is a really great disc, and an amazing final piece to his musical legacy.

Given David's death in December and the subject matter of this amazing swan song make it often a hard listen for me...but man, what an unreal final album-- his baritone sounds just perfect to me.

I was lucky enough to fly to see them in Toronto twice but was unable to go to their recent stops in suburban Atlanta and Charlotte last year...

When I told Dave that I had good floor seats for Rush the same night as his Charlotte gig, he told me "Aw, man, go see the Rush show-- floor seats, too! I have 30 years left in me...Rush don't!"
The lyrics are flat out haunting. It almost seems as if he new he was going to die.

I too had a chance to meet him. Very nice guy.