Worked myself a new mix! (Huge content inside)

Kurkkuviipale

May 31, 2011
Hello all Andy Sneapers!

Tried to make a huge mix and I think I've achieved something. Also worked to get better on EQ'ing.

http://soundcloud.com/kurkkuviipale/hugy

Any flaws you find? I know it's compressed and I kinda like it, but I'm looking for things not related to compression.

You can also tell your opinion on the newer mix I've made. I have not heard it with fresh ears so it might suck big time:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11989434/Br00tal Mix.mp3

Pleeeeeease back off the compression! I know you dig the sound but you'll grow tired of it fast. Any not compression related, I'd like to know what you did for your guitars. They were a little digital, but it wasn't terrible.

You have to add a real accent @ 6 s. The groove gets thrown off completely without it.
Is the bass doubletracked or something? It sounds almost wider than the guitars...

Which one are you speaking of, the clip @ OP or the textures cover?

I've widened the upper range of the bass in both, leaving the bass range untouched. It's not doubletracked, but I have processed two channels, the other of them high passing and the other one low passing, differently. High range is distorted and widened, tha low range is EQ'd so it sounded good to my ear.

Yea, this is kind of an experimentation for a huge mix, which for I used a shortcut of compressing. Guitars have a fuckloads of gain, which bring the upper range too high, which again makes it sound digital. It's all axe-fx.

Here's a newer mix wit a lot less gain and less comp:

http://soundcloud.com/kurkkuviipale/laments-of-an-icarus-bass

The bass sounds awesome in this, but the rest needs a lot of work i'd say. The drums needs to get up in volume forexample, and the rhythm feels kinda strange too me, just play something more normal! Hahha :D

The bass sounds awesome in this, but the rest needs a lot of work i'd say. The drums needs to get up in volume forexample, and the rhythm feels kinda strange too me, just play something more normal! Hahha :D

Yea, bass is mixed up in this intentionally. It's a bass mixtest afterall.

Personally, I would normally say "lay off so much compression", but I'm not... your drums (and especially your snare and kick sound) reminds me of this Haunted Shores song:

I think with some epic songwriting, your current drum sound could get you a pretty sweet track!!!! :kickass:

What'd you use for drums? I've really been trying to capture that overcompressed reverb drum sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would normally say "lay off so much compression", but I'm not... your drums (and especially your snare and kick sound) reminds me of this Haunted Shores song:

I think with some epic songwriting, your current drum sound could get you a pretty sweet track!!!! :kickass:

What'd you use for drums? I've really been trying to capture that overcompressed reverb drum sound.

Well always love me some Haunted Shores.

Bulb uses alot of compression on his mixes anyway.

And that riff @ my OP SUCKS. :D Check out my other songs on soundcloud. :)

Bus your drums to a channel and compress the fuck out of them. Use intelligent compressors such as Stillwell Bombardier not to kill it totally. Use high thresh and little ratio. Send the drum bus to some EPIC reverbs. I never overdo reverb though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well always love me some Haunted Shores.

Bulb uses alot of compression on his mixes anyway.

And that riff @ my OP SUCKS. :D Check out my other songs on soundcloud. :)

Bus your drums to a channel and compress the fuck out of them. Use intelligent compressors such as Stillwell Bombardier not to kill it totally. Use high thresh and little ratio. Send the drum bus to some EPIC reverbs. I never overdo reverb though.

I usually compress my drums, but what snare sample did you use? Was it one out of SSD or SD2.0? Or something else?