World Under Blood tracking

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
felt this deserved it's own thread (already posted it as a reply in the "NEW CKY" thread)....

just got home from 10 days in Southern California... spent 5 of them tracking Deron Miller of CKY for his World Under Blood album for Nuclear Blast. He gave me the new CKY CD, "Carver City", and it's very cool.... really digging it. We had a blast hanging and tracking... used my mobile rig in his spare room, borrowed a guitar and PODxt from Michael Keene of The Faceless, captured D.I. (Radial JDV mk3) for re-amping back at home. the album is shaping up quite nicely and will feature two cover songs as well: Malevolent Creation's "Alliance Or War", and Megadeth's "Wake Up Dead". Rhythm tracking is all we did (drums were already done at Raymond Herrera from Fear Factory's personal studio) and Deron KILLED IT!

tracking_Deron_WUB_1.jpg

tracking_Deron_WUB_2.jpg

mobile_WUB.jpg

hadn't decided to borrow the xt and guitar yet when i took this one.

yep, very easy going, unlike my rental cars... two flats thanks to tire debris from from a big truck on my first one, then another unexplained flat in the parking lot of the Nuclear Blast/Century Media offices (thankfully there's a garage right next door) and someone knocked the driver's side-view mirror off while i was in a restaurant eating shortly after i left the Metal Blade offices on my second one.

thankfully, i had paid the additional insurance.

Oooof ive spotted something else I like, that black clip the guy has muting his top strings, do they have a brand name? I hate using cellotape on my strings! :p

James, really looking forward to this, i love this band, the songs on their myspace are killer, this gonna be one of my favorite releases this year!!

for me, tape kinda buzzes and works loose.... what you're seeing is a just a piece of the standard gray foam that comes with EMG pickups in the packaging and with other electronics... i save that stuff and cut it down as needed.... here i just stuck it under the B & E strings when he told me he wouldn't be playing them on that particular song. it's thick enough to stay in place and keep the strings dampened. i love that stuff.

for me, tape kinda buzzes and works loose.... what you're seeing is a just a piece of the standard gray foam that comes with EMG pickups in the packaging and with other electronics... i save that stuff and cut it down as needed.... here i just stuck it under the B & E strings when he told me he wouldn't be playing them on that particular song. it's thick enough to stay in place and keep the strings dampened. i love that stuff.

Maybe a stupid question, but is there a reason why it's not on the top of the neck (in 1st fret)? I usually put that stuff on there, as then those strings don't rise higher than the others on the "picking area". Damn, I'm bad explaining here. :p

Maybe a stupid question, but is there a reason why it's not on the top of the neck (in 1st fret)? I usually put that stuff on there, as then those strings don't rise higher than the others on the "picking area". Damn, I'm bad explaining here. :p
he's playing rhythm guitar... chords with the root on the first fret just lead to the player moving the foam. also, anything that he plays that causes a fret to be pressed inadvertently on those strings above the first fret will still produce an undampened sound since the foam would be below where the unintentional fretting happens.... putting it higher keeps it out of the range of anything he's playing and guarantees that even if a fret on one of those strings is accidentally depressed no significant sound will happen... c'mon now ;)