Worst News Ever

here's the guy who began this dead group (don't forget, dead celebs always come in threes)

I may be the only guy here who knows who he was, but he was the original guitar player to use distortion as a tool

linkster.jpg

Link_wray

that "rumble" man

Master guitarist Link Wray left this plane yesterday at the age of 76. The title of this post is a play on words, of course, because I will miss him. But it's also descriptive - Link Wray was a gateway, a human bridge, a link between worlds.

Like Baron Samedi in Voudoun (who also wears dark clothes and sunglasses), Link Wray was a bridge between dark and light, day and night, new and old. The fact that he was half Native American and half European, and therefore half "New World" and half "Old" (I always thought they got those two terms backwards) only added to the bi-dimensionality of his identity.

Link Wray's tone was dirty but his heart, I always felt, was sweet. ("Dirty-sweet," to use the words of Marc Bolan, who no doubt was an acolyte.) He went from country/western ("Lucky Wray and his Palomino Ranch Hands") to the grittiest rock & roll. And as for the sound of that guitar ... I'm reminded of a great dialog between John Lee Hooker and Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), who was interviewing him.

"Carlos Santana says 'A man's tone is his face,' said Gibbons."

"Well," replied Hooker, "he know."

Link Wray's "face" changed rock and roll. When he recorded "Rumble," his first hit, he tried to duplicate the sound he got when he played it at a country dance through a blown out amp. When it sounded too clean he drove a pencil through the speakers to get that gritty sound. The gangland name of the record, and that gritty sound, caused it to be banned in several towns. When an instrumental gets banned ... well ... man, you've caught something very, very primal. And rock and roll is supposed to be primal.

When you release the savagery in the human heart, love is free to follow.

Ca-thar-sis (from dictionary.com):

1. Medicine. Purgation, especially for the digestive system.
2. A purifying or figurative cleansing of the emotions, especially pity and fear, described by Aristotle as an effect of tragic drama on its audience.
3. A release of emotional tension, as after an overwhelming experience, that restores or refreshes the spirit.
4. Psychology.
1. A technique used to relieve tension and anxiety by bringing repressed feelings and fears to consciousness.
2. The therapeutic result of this process; abreaction.

That's the secret of rock and roll, the liberating power nobody understands anymore. That's the power Link Wray and his descendants - those who carried on the power chord and feedback - brought, or should bring.

You could see the love in Link Wray's eyes. Was he a brilliant technician on the instrument? No. And yes. And who cares? He - and Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols, and Johnny Ramone, and Dave Davies of the Kinks, and everyone else who's ever blown out a cheap amplifier - open a door in the heart when they play to their fullest.

Now Link Wray's opened another door. "Rumble" was one of the greatest records of all time. Link Wray: Walk through that door. But I'll miss you.

Posted by RJ Eskow on November 23, 2005