Worth Checking Out: Madder Mortem

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
This band was mentioned very early on in the "Share Your Favorite Female-Fronted Metal Bands" thread, but I just found this short review of them online from a Chicago paper and thought I'd share it:

Examiner.com said:
When you usually put the words “Norwegian” and “metal” in the same sentence- most of us get a vision of church burnings and Gaahl from Gorgoroth discussing his allegiances to Satan. Not every metal band in Norway is corpse paint and wannabe evil- take Oslo’s Madder Mortem.
The band, formerly known as Mystery Tribe, has been enchanting northern Europe since 1993. The band is out with a new record entitled “Eight Ways”, which was released back in May. The soaring and ethereal vocals of Agnete M. Kirkevaag make “Eight Ways” worth the time. Sure, plenty of bands from Europe have female fronted hard rock bands- everybody from Lacuna Coil to Within Temptation. But on songs like “A Different Kind of Hell” and “The Little Things”, the band switches back between operatics and melodic metal. The band also dabbles in a jazzy type of sound as well, with tracks like “The Flesh, the Blood, The Man” sounding unlike too many other metal bands out there.
“Eight Ways” is the follow up to the 2006 record “Desiderata” which was the band’s move into the more melodic direction and “Eight Ways” shows that they are leaps and bounds different than some of their Norwegian contemporaries. The band has been playing Europe this summer, but hopefully with any luck- the band will make their way to the U.S. sometime really soon.

“Eight Ways” is out now on Peaceville Records. Additional dates and band info can be found at www.maddermortem.com.
I haven't had a chance to check out any of the new material yet, but it's going on my list. Has anyone else checked it out yet? Any other thoughts on Madder Mortem?

I haven't had a chance to check out any of the new material yet, but it's going on my list. Has anyone else checked it out yet? Any other thoughts on Madder Mortem?
With "Eight Ways" Madder Mortem have proved once again that they are one of the most original metal bands around. They are my favourite non-defunct metal band and "Eight Ways" might become my favourite album of 2009. I also like the original cover artwork.

Check out the videoclip of "Armour" here:

http://www.maddermortem.com/

Note that this song is probably the one with the most "commercial" appeal. The songs all sound different from each other and there are influences from different music genres to be found, yet it still sounds like Madder Mortem.

You can also listen to samples of four of the new songs on their myspace-page:
http://www.myspace.com/maddermortem

My personal faves on "Eight Ways" are "The Flesh, The Blood And The Man" and "Where Dream And Day Collide".