Would any of these pickups be good for a sound that is heavy and not buzzy?

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
I do a lot of palm muting. I don't think its my muting or my amp. I used my friends guitar and got a better sound. Are any of these pickups good for getting a heavy sound that also sounds clean and doesn't have that buzzing Dimebag sound? If so which one is the best?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP102-X2N-Pickup?sku=302021
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP215-Evo-2-Bridge-Pickup?sku=309390
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP151-PAF-Pro-Pickup?sku=302040

I'm looking for a sound along the lines of this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-cpWpzxVA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-cpWpzxVA[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is kind of a totally random list you have there....but from your videos...

Michael Romeo uses emgs in his purple esp and x2n :puke: in the bridge of his white caparisons

Emppu uses Seymour Duncan TB-5s in the bridge most of the time

Are you not interested in active pickups?

I love the sound of the Washburn 423, although i guess its kinda hard to find.
Its really dynamic, so when you just touch the strings it smooths up with alot of warmth to the sound, and when you strike the strings moderatly you get kinda like Emppu's sound, that crunchy but yet smooth sound, and when you really dig in to the strings you get one of those "heavy as fuck"-tones.
I dont belive that you need active pickups as everybody else seems to encourage you to, and i dont think you should get EMG's because of the sound you seem to be after(Although some other active pickups might get you there.).

I don't even know what those are. I don't know anything about pickups, and I haven't found any good explenations on the internet

active pickups are battery-powered, and therefore tend to have a lot more gain/output

Actually, actives (at least EMG's) don't even have that much output relative to higher output passives like a Dimebucker, X2N, etc. The battery powers an internal preamp, which allows the magnets to have a really weak pull on the strings (cuz the signal is boosted), and generally makes everything sound much crisper and cleaner; in short, the first time playing with EMG's will probably be a big helping of humble pie for you, cuz you can't hide any flaws in playing - I know it was for me, but I love 'em now! Also, having the signal bufferred makes the signal coming out much lower impedance, thus making the guitar cable less susceptible to tone loss over long distances (but still best not to exceed 25 ft.) Oh, and apparently (though this is only from reading) it makes re-amping a lot easier cuz you don't need too high an impedance on your DI box input when tracking the clean guitar.

In short, EMG's are tits!

So which kinds of pickups can I put and where?

Dude, check out the Bare KNuckle website. These dudes really know what their doing. I've got two of my guitars installed with Miracle Mans in the neck and another axe with a Nailbomb in the neck.

I've used alot of pickups in my time, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio and was up to about two years ago very happy with EMGS, which are a great pickup. But the BKP just give you a bit more, well for me.

I'm in the UK so their not as expensive as you'd pay in the States. But at the end of the day it's all about personal preference.

Best of Luck

Whats this neck and bridge stuff? Are there pickups that you can only put certain places?

Whats this neck and bridge stuff? Are there pickups that you can only put certain places?

You can put any pickup in either position...but some sound better in one place than the others.

Seymour Duncan blackouts are a good active pickup.

I think you should go to a guitar store and check out a few different ones and see what you like. It is hard to get the sound you have in mind by asking other people for opinions.

The problem with testing in a guitar store, though, is that more than likely you'll be testing different pickups in different guitars, so there'd be a shitload of variables in there besides the p'ups

If you know very little about pickups, but are looking for pickups that are good for heavy music with palm muting, I would have to agree with Metaltastic and say that you can't go wrong with some EMGs. Put an 81 in the bridge, and I seriously doubt that you'll be unhappy. I replaced the cheap "Duncan Designed" pickups from my Schecter a few years ago with EMGs, and when I plugged my guitar into the Marshall JCM2000 I had at the time, I couldn't believe how much drastically better it sounded.

The problem with testing in a guitar store, though, is that more than likely you'll be testing different pickups in different guitars, so there'd be a shitload of variables in there besides the p'ups

Well considering his lack of pickup knowledge I think it would be a good learning experience regardless of the guitar

Dude, check out the Bare KNuckle website. These dudes really know what their doing. I've got two of my guitars installed with Miracle Mans in the neck and another axe with a Nailbomb in the neck.

I've used alot of pickups in my time, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio and was up to about two years ago very happy with EMGS, which are a great pickup. But the BKP just give you a bit more, well for me.

I'm in the UK so their not as expensive as you'd pay in the States. But at the end of the day it's all about personal preference.

Best of Luck

I heard good thinks about BK pickups. How do they compare to Lundgrens?