Would DAVE GROHL Replace NEIL PEART In RUSH?

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with Rolling Stone, Dave Grohl was asked if he would ever consider replacing the now apparently retired drummer Neil Peart in RUSH if the other members of the legendary Canadian rock outfit made the offer. He responded: "I would say, 'I'm not physically or musically capable, but thanks for the offer.' "Neil Peart, that's a whole other animal, another species of drummer. "I know the arrangements, but I'm like Meg White to Neil Peart. And she's one of my favorite drummers! She's my daughter's favorite drummer, too. My daughter plays drums to two types of music: WHITE STRIPES and AC/DC. I'm like, 'That's exactly what you need to be doing.'" Grohl and his FOO FIGHTERS bandmate Taylor Hawkins inducted RUSH into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2013 and also performed "2112 Overture" with producer Nick Raskulinecz while dressed in up like RUSH circa 1976, complete with wigs, platform shoes and kimonos. Calling the experience "one of the most special nights of my life," Dave said: "When I got '2112' when I was eight years old, it fucking changed the direction of my life. I heard the drums. It made me want to become a drummer." Reflecting upon meeting Peart for the first time, he added: "This man was as influential as any religion or any hero or any person in someone's life. He said, 'So nice to meet you. Can I make you a coffee?' And he made me a coffee, man. And later on that night, I went to dinner and had a couple glasses of wine and I started fucking crying because my hero made me a fucking coffee." Back in 2016, Hawkins says that he would "get crucified" if he tried to replace Peart in RUSH now that the legendary drummer has made it clear he isn't interested in touring anymore. "Dude, I'd get fucking crucified, man," he said during an appearance on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation". "You know how many fucking dorks would wanna kick my ass if I tried to be in RUSH? It'd be like a nation of dorks chasing me and trying to kill me. [Screaming] You're not Neil Peart! Don't even think about it!" During his RUSH Rock Hall induction speech, Taylor praised Peart, saying: "His drumming was just as musical and melodic as anything in the band. Bringing the drums where they should be, the forefront of the band! Not only did he did the most ripping drum solos in the world, he also wrote the lyrics."

Continue reading...