Would like some input on some good Black Metal...

taz

New Metal Member
Aug 5, 2002
The Basement
Visit site
I am a big Death Metal fan (Vader, Dismember, Edge of Sanity, Entombed, The Crown, etc) but I would really like to start exploring the Black Metal area.

the only Black Metal I own is early Venom. I think the first 3 albums are great and in my mind that is what I think of when I think Black Metal.

So, I picked up a few names I had heard of: Cradle of Filth, Emporer and Witchery. I really, really disliked CoF and Emporer. I hated the keyboards, I thought everything blended together into one big mess. Vocals were HORRIBLE even to a death metal fan. Witchery was somewhat better but not anything like the Venom sound I enjoyed so much. Next, still sticking to it, I tried an album from Naglfar. This one I enjoyed more than the 3 previous bands I had tried.

I have heard a lot of people speak of Immortal and Bathory as big Black Metal acts. For a guy who doesn't like CoF and Emporer but enjoys Venom and to an extent Naglfar, would you recommend them and if not who might you recommend?

Thanks for any input you might have.

uh.....we seem to have very different tastes (hated Emperor!?:eek: )
but if you don't like keyboards check out Immortal......Dark Funeral....Mayhem.....Darkthrone....might like it...might not:)

Originally posted by FailingAcension
Immortal......Dark Funeral....Mayhem.....Darkthrone....might like it...might not:)

Immortal is great... Dark Funeral is bland and boring... Mayhem is phenomenal (yes, I even liked GDoW), and Darkthrone are the gods of black metal in my opinion.

You left out two of my all time favorites, though...

:headbang: Gorgoroth and Graveland :headbang:

Dissection is a mix of mostly black metal with a little death metal thrown in for fun. Definitely check them out.

You sound like you would really enjoy Bathory, Immortal, Darkthrone, and you might as well give Graveland a shot from what I hear about them.

I pretty much guarantee you will like Dissection, though.

Am I the only person in the universe that hates and dispises Dark Throne for sucking unbelievable amounts of ass?

Well, if you don´t like flashy keyboardoriented black metal like Emperor, you will more likely enjoy bands like Darkthrone, Taake, Bathory, Carpathian Forest and stuff - the total opposite of Emperor.
That fact that you don´t like CoF I see as a good thing.

Originally posted by Schraiber
Am I the only person in the universe that hates and dispises Dark Throne for sucking unbelievable amounts of ass?

Nope! hehe! well........ I actually dislike them cos the sound really gets on my nerves. I'm not really into the rough production style.

Hey Taz,
Check out some of the earlier Abigor albums, simply amazing! I reckon yould probably be more into Black death as you don't seem to like the screamy vox. Try Usurper, Akhkharu and maybe soms Old Man's Child too!

avoid mayhem eventhough they were a very important black metal band they are incredibly crap IMO. listen to emperor till you start to like (they are the best black metal band ever), dimmu borgir (its good eventhough its not Tr00) darkthrone, satyricon, immortal.

avoid mayhem eventhough they were a very important black metal band they are incredibly crap IMO. listen to emperor till you start to like (they are the best black metal band ever), dimmu borgir (its good eventhough its not Tr00) darkthrone, satyricon, immortal.
Funny you should put Dimmu Borgir on the list, since För All Tid and Stormblast are their only black metal albums. Post-Stormblast is not black metal.