Would Paradise Lost be outside the scope of PPUSA??

templeofmax

Aug 13, 2009
Love the band, and despite the electronic leanings during the early 2000´s, I still enjoy all their albums, especially Shades of God and the monumental Draconian Times. Any chance to bring them for a PPUSA???

Paradise Lost is among those "if they play I WILL be there" bands, as I've never seen them live.

While I actually enjoy Paradise Lost on disc, the one time I caught them live (opening for Nightwish, I believe) they really bored me to tears. I don't know if they chose a crappy setlist, if the band wasn't into it or if they simply don't deliver live. I'd give them another chance, but Idk... they really really disappointed me.

While I actually enjoy Paradise Lost on disc, the one time I caught them live (opening for Nightwish, I believe) they really bored me to tears. I don't know if they chose a crappy setlist, if the band wasn't into it or if they simply don't deliver live. I'd give them another chance, but Idk... they really really disappointed me.

Interesting. I caught them opening for Opeth and loved their performance.

And whoever suggested Samael - I'm not their biggest fan, but yeah, that would be a really interesting addition.

Samael would be awesome. I know there's not a big market at ProgPower for this type of music but I'd love to see them live. There's be lots of headbanging and horns flying for them:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this band a lot, but when I saw them open for Nightwish I didn't like them live. They didn't have much stage presence to me. I would try them again though as I'm much more familiar with their material nowadays.

This "bored me to tears" stuff still has me skeptical. Like Katatonia and Anathema, they're not the typical "bang your head, pump your fist" band, but they don't try to be. So I'm not sure what it is you want from bands whose recorded material can come off as a bit boring, if you're looking for upbeat or exciting.

This "bored me to tears" stuff still has me skeptical. Like Katatonia and Anathema, they're not the typical "bang your head, pump your fist" band, but they don't try to be. So I'm not sure what it is you want from bands whose recorded material can come off as a bit boring, if you're looking for upbeat or exciting.

Katatonia and Anathema are far superior live bands than Paradise Lost, based on my experience seeing them. Believe me, I know PL isn't the typical bang your head band, but Katatonia for instance, teaches them quite a lesson on how to kick ass live.

Katatonia and Anathema are far superior live bands than Paradise Lost, based on my experience seeing them. Believe me, I know PL isn't the typical bang your head band, but Katatonia for instance, teaches them quite a lesson on how to kick ass live.

Glad to hear you say that about Katatonia. I've seen other posters say they are really boring live; something I disagree with (after seeing them on the Moonspell/Daylight Dies tour a few years ago).

Glad to hear you say that about Katatonia. I've seen other posters say they are really boring live; something I disagree with (after seeing them on the Moonspell/Daylight Dies tour a few years ago).

I caught 4 shows of that tour. Every single band on the bill was amazing. It was a hell of a package!

Plus you have to remember that a lot of the people that find Katatonia boring live are Sabaton fanboys who think they're the greatest band on Earth (nothing against them).

Katatonia are amazing live, IMHO.

Dark metal can be difficult to pull off live.
Novembers Doom are an AMAZING live band.
Saturnus (while I like them) unfortunately not so much.

One band I am still shocked have not been on the roster yet, esp being an American band, is AGALLOCH. Who knows? Maybe they have been asked. They don't play live much, plus would attract a much different crowd. I know lots of people traveled to see them last year when they played a couple midwest shows.