Would please explain to me something.

Should I commit suicide for not even typing the Thread title right?

• Yes

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Thraxz

Melody be Thy Name
Aug 27, 2004
Las Vegas
Someone in an earlier thread said that brutal death veered towards technicality and that melodeath veered toward power metal and melody (duh). Someone explain to me how this song by Krisiun can be considered highly technical. I realise this tabology may not come out very well if not heres a link to it. http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Guitar,k,9191,Krisiun,Conquerors+Of+Armageddon,75948

Tune Down 1 1/2 Steps

Riff 1

C# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ab -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E -9-----8-----10-----9-----6-----5-----8-----7-----9-----8-----10-----9-----6-5-9-8-12----
B -9-----8-----10-----9-----6-----5-----8-----7-----9-----8-----10-----9-----6-5-9-8-12----
F# -7-----6-----8 -----7-----4-----3-----6-----5-----7-----6-----8 -----7-----4-3-7-6-10----
C# ---0-0---0-0----0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0----0-0---0-0---------------

Riff 2

C# -------------------------------------
Ab -------------------------------------
E ------9-8-12-11-8-7------------------
B -10-9-9-8-12-11-8-7-9-8-10-9-6-5-3-2-
F# -10-9-7-6-10-9 -6-5-9-8-10-9-6-5-3-2-
C# -8 -7---------------7-6-8 -7-4-3-1-0-

Riff 3

C# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ab --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E -9-----10-----9-----------------8---------9-----10-----9--------4---3-----------
B -9-----10-----9--------9---10---8---------9-----10-----9----------------3---2---
F# -7-----8 -----7--------9---10---6---------7-----8 -----7--------2---1-----------
C# ---0-0----0-0------0-0-7---8 -------0-0-0---0-0----0-0------0-0---------1---0---

Riff 5

C# ------------------------------
Ab ------------------------------
E ------------------------------
B -------------------------8----
F# -------------------------8----
C# -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-6----

Riff 6

C# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ab -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E -7------------------------6------------------------5------------------------4------------------------
B -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F# -5------------------------4------------------------3------------------------2------------------------
C# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C# -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ab -------------------------------------------------------------------------
E -8----------------9----------------8----------------9--------------------
B -------------------------------------------------------------------------
F# -6----------------7----------------6----------------7--------------------
C# -------------------------------------------------------------------------

If those genres were defined by those descriptions, Krisiun would apparently not be considered melodeath (obviously). I'm sure somebody just suggested that it applied to the majority though.

note: If you're going to define melodeath as 'melodic' when speaking relative to death metal in general, you'll find that the supposed main leaders of the genre don't even fit into it.

While you are right about the supposed melodeath leaders not really being melodeath bands, but, you completely avoided my question. Why is that considered highly technical? Sure its played fast but umm.... you SHOULD be able to play simplistic writing like that quickly. Anyone else feel like stepping up to the plate?

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
I dunno about you Thraxz but Krisiun defines to me as pretty much just death metal, it may be brutal because of the vocal delivery and drum work but it isn't as technical, as say...Gorguts or Suffocation?

Really? http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Guitar,s,16192,Suffocation,Infecting+The+Crypts,123166

More technical than Krisiun, yes, by a fairly large margin but still nothing exciting. LOOK at all the power chords. All those switches to one fret down...THEN back up. woooooow. :OMG:

Thraxz said:
While you are right about the supposed melodeath leaders not really being melodeath bands, but, you completely avoided my question. Why is that considered highly technical? Sure its played fast but umm.... you SHOULD be able to play simplistic writing like that quickly. Anyone else feel like stepping up to the plate?

I suck at guitar theory, and music theory in general. Didn't even give the tab a second glance. :)

I'm just getting a little tired of why people keep bragging on brutal death as though its the most technically inclined metal. (I am drawing this conclusion from repeated attacks on melodeath, power and prog metal followed by comments that brutal death is "highly technical") I have one word for that... bullshit. Why? Because its not THAT fucking great, stop glorifying it. Micheal Romeo has done a million times more to show (to me) that his technical skills are superior than virtually any brutal death guitarist has (to date). I'll be the first to admit I have not listened extensively to brutal death, but I HAVE listened to Suffocation (among others). Which, at the moment, seems to be the common denominator between brutal death lovers. I was unimpressed. I'm by no means saying -I- could play it but that is because I, really, really suck. Then again, I don't take my guitaring seriously. It's a pasttime who's challenge reminds me of how awesome the people who play the music I listen to are.

I just want someone to step up and convince me that brutal death is even arguably the most technical metal style.

I've been saying that for a year and a half now (which is exactly how long I've been into non-mainstream music.

Okay... no one will even attempt at showing brutal death's "awesome technicality"?

I hereby declare myself victorious in my goal to show that brutal death is a lack luster, uninspired lump of so-so metal.

(I dare you to say something stupid and forfeit your credibility.)

Well brutal death probably isn't the most technically inclined metal but it is pretty technical in its own right. Alot of brutal death metal focuses on fast chromatic guitar work thus the "move one fret up and down". GoD is right in saying that something doesn't have to be technical to be good. I'm just curious though, to find out what you actually find technical.

You mentioned Michael Romeo and though I think he is a pretty damn good guitarist, alot of the music he writes with Symphony X is pretty generic save for the epic 20 minute tracks. Perhaps maybe you'll like Necrophagist's Onset of Putrefaction if you think sweep picking and fast neoclassical guitar runs means technicality.

I myself can't bear to listen to something hideously technical for a long time which is why I don't like Dream Theater or most prog(except 70s stuff) but I can stick in a Gorguts CD and listen to it days on end because of the songwriting.

Listen to Monstrosity's "Millenium" album and tell me that isn't technical.

Krisiun is not at all a technical band. By the way, the people who spend all of their time raving about how technical br00tal death metal is tend to be Unique Leaders fanbois. Ignore them.

Immolation's later recordings tend to be quite technical. Gorguts is often referred to as brutal death, try that. Also, look into the Acerbus demos. Oh, and "Omnipotence" by Wicked Innocence.

I'm not a big fan of Necrophagist, but "Onset of Putrefaction" is beyond technical.

I sincerly hope you arn't trying to say that Gorguts' writing has better songwriting than pretty much any Symphony X. I won't pretend I've listened to Gorguts (for long... usually its however long its takes for me to find a better CD/station/etc) I have heard Suffocation and from what I've been hearing from people is that they are pretty comparable bands in all aspects in cluding songwriting. I know for a fact that Symphony X's is far more complex and far more varied than Suffocation's. You can tell by just listening to a song like Wicked from SX and say... since I used it already Suffocation's Infecting the Crypts. I will admit the rythm guitar for SX isn't the most difficult complex thing in the world but then again... neither is virtually any metal band. Lots of power chords usually minor variations. Where SX stands out is the lead. I dare someone to come up with a brutal death lead that compares with anything SX has done.

You dislike things that are technical for long periods, I'm perfectly okay with that. You are not the kind of person I'm really aiming this thread at. I'm aiming it at all the fakers that delude themselves into thinking that brutal death and only brutal death is worthy of their cd players and relentlessly bash anything else with pathetic comments. Perfect example, "That's so gay! If it were a personal trainer it'd be Richard Simmons!"" (Slight exaggeration there but you understand the type of attitude I'm suggesting.)

I don't necessarily hate brutal death I just think it's about a ten times overrated. The only real merit I can give it on a consistent basis is that the drummers are awesome. I just am not fond of the sound a super fast drummer makes. To me, its a lot like a 5 minute bass solo, it gets old FAST. Another thing, You can't be a complete fuck up like I am and play the riffs that fast.

The songwriting isn't complex, period. Nor is it overly creative. (I'm speaking in a general sense) So that's not a draw for me.

I never said that technicality means good. It feels like every rabid flame thrower who I ever come across who is asked to defend his case for brutal death either says "its not gay" or "its so much more technical." Since I disregard anything that's as feeble as 'gay' I have to rely on the later which just doesn't hold up as we've seen here. I'm perfectly aware that simplicity in itself can be awesome. How else can I explain Bathory kicking ass in every album? That's not terribly hard shit to play but its just plain badass. I don't know how Quorthon put together simples riffs like he did and still manage to make it original and great all at the same time.

That's enough out of me.

Oh yeah, I'll gladly take a look at those bands everyone mentioned. I'm not such a dick as to make a thread like this and not go check them out.

"I won't pretend I've listened to Gorguts (for long... usually its however long its takes for me to find a better CD/station/etc) I have heard Suffocation and from what I've been hearing from people is that they are pretty comparable bands in all aspects in cluding songwriting."

Yes and no. Suffocation became influenced by early Gorguts, but "Obscura" is in a different vein. It's quite a bizarre record.

Make a note to check Necrophagist in particular. The leadwork on "Epitaph" is without a doubt some of the most technical I have heard. "Onset..." is better, though.